No taptic notification for third-party app alerts - how to fix?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by avalys, Apr 30, 2015.

1. avalys macrumors 6502

I have the watch set to silent mode, so that I only get taptic notifications for alerts. This works fine for all the built-in apps: messages, reminders, calendar, activity, etc. However, I don't seem to get taptic notifications for third-party apps, like the New York Times breaking news alerts. These appear on the Watch, but only as the red dot on the watch face. I don't seem to get a taptic notification when they come in.

What setting controls this, if any?

2. avalys thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump. Is anyone else getting taptic notifications for third-party apps, with the Watch set to "Mute"?

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I am trying to figure this out as well. I can't find any options in the settings to control this.

4. blackbear219 macrumors regular

On the phone's notification settings for the app, do you have sounds enabled? I think I've discovered that if sounds are off, and the watch is "mirroring" the phone's notifications for that app, it will "silence" the haptic too.

5. alxy8s macrumors member

That's true.

Some apps don't even include "Sounds" in their options for notifications. The phone makes a noise when it gets a notification for these apps if the ringer is on by default. The watch will not give a taptic notification because Sound is not turned on (nor is it turned off, but the default on the watch seems to be silence whereas the phone's default is to make a noise).

6. blackbear219 macrumors regular

Interesting. So is that the root of the problem then? If the developer didn't include sounds in their notification options, their apps are currently unable to send haptic feedback with their alerts?

7. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Genius! I didn't realize that for a few app notifications on my iPhone that I had turned off sounds for those apps. It makes perfect sense now!

8. skimcpip macrumors regular

Really glad I found this. I thought there was something wrong with my watch and I was getting aggravated.

Hopefully in future watch software updates Apple will include more granular and/or watch-specific alert settings.

9. skimcpip macrumors regular

Sorry to revive this once more but does anyone know if there is a set of instructions detailing under what conditions/settings notifications will or will not appear on the watch? Like, if I turn on sounds but turn off banners or lockscreen on the phone, how will it effect watch notifications, etc.?

10. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Have you downloaded the watch users guide? 140+ pages on my iPad and it's FREE.

11. skimcpip macrumors regular

I have not but I will now. Thanks!