No Target Disc Mode in new mac books? ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by California, Nov 15, 2008.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Did I miss this completely? There is NO target disc mode to boot up your new al macbook into?

Tried holding down the T key to USB the mac book into another computer (last revision PMG5) and the macbook does NOT boot into Target Disk Mode?

No firewire; fine. But I thought we could boot up in TDM to transfer files through USB to other Macs?

Am I missing something?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

No, you're not missing anything...Target Disk Mode has been exclusively possible with a FireWire connection, I have never heard of anyone doing a migration through USB. Try these alternatives to migrating through Target Disk Mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1291

3. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Network migration or from a Time Machine backup are your only alternatives now.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, no jokes but it's called "Firewire Target Disk Mode", henceforth it only works through Firewire. Sadly it's slowing disappearing from the Mac line but oh well, you have to move on.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

its ethernet NOW or just like yea network... which i find much slower... anyone else?

6. molala macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. It's been around before firewire, works with SCSI - which was replaced with firewire around 2000. I hope Apple doesn't entirely kill target disk mode if they decide to abandon firewire.