No tax and education discount (MBA '13)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ray111, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Ray111, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

Ray111 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was wondering, is it possible to make use of both tax free purchasing and the education discount? I'm planning on heading out to Oregon in a few weeks and I'm also a foreign student at a Dutch University, but my parents live in SF. Any idea's how I can combine these two? I was thinking of having my order delivered to an apple store in Oregon..

Also, would it be possible to include the upcoming back to school promo ?

Thanks guys !

EDIT: I was thinking, maybe I can get both if I call a Oregon Apple store , place the order by phone and ask for the student discount ?

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be honest, I would say to wait until you made it out to Oregon, and buy it in store. That way you won't have to worry about confusion in the purchase price and shipping (shipping may eat into the final cost).

So just head to the store in Oregon, buy the MBA, use student discount, and you're done.

BL.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, Apple Store's can't take credit card numbers of the telephone, so you can't order directly through them.

You can try ordering online through the educational website and choosing the option of shipping to the store. Not sure how it handles out-of-country students, though.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The student discount doesn't say "US Student" so the answer should be "Yes" to all your questions. However I don't know if you can order by phone.

A student ID card will get you the discount in the store.

5. Ray111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want the maxed out MBA (i7/8GB RAM), and I'm not sure they will have those in stock. Judging from what I've read, they usually don't.. otherwise, yea.. picking it up at the store would be the best way to go.

----------

Yea, but that way I won't get the full education discount, just the regular one..

6. Ray111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! The problem is, though, that most Apple stores do not have the maxed out version of the '13 MBA in stock, which is the one I am looking for.. so, this leaves me two options:

1) Order it through the online-store and have it delivered to a Oregon apple store. The main downside is that I won't get the full education discount, just the regular one

2) Find a way to get the full education discount, while having it delivered to a Oregon apple store

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Can you not order it through the online education store?

http://store.apple.com/us-hed

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm not sure how it works in your country, but in the US, the educational discount for a particular Mac is the same online as it is in a physical Apple Store.

9. Ray111, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

Ray111 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I meant with option 1. That'll get me the regular education discount, not the full one you get when you order through your university's network or order it at the store itself..

The problem is, that Apple does not recognize my university's network. Also, I won't have enough time in Oregon to wait for the i7/8GB MBA to be delivered to the store (once I visit the store with my uni ID), as the maxed out model is usually not in stock..

EDIT: NVM, I've just been informed that the online educational discount is the same as the in-store one.. problem solved ! I'll just order it through the online education store :)!

10. Ray111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure ??

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, it's the same.

FWIW: I did the educational discount + tax free at the store in Delaware. Ordered online, had it shipped to store, free shipping.

All told I paid $1749 for a 512GB SSD/i7/8GB MacBook Air.

12. Guppy51 macrumors member

What's the full education discount vs normal education discount?

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the US, there is only one educational discount.

14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I recently bought a 13" MBA, i7, 8GB, 512GB from the Washington Sq store in Portland. I think all three Portland Apple Retail Stores generally carry that fully configured model. Student price is $1749... or $1932 with Apple Care. No sales tax in Oregon. They will give you the $100 gift card at time of purchase.

You must be a student, educator... or parent of a student. School ID is required.

Of course... there is no guarantee that any particular model will be in-stock on any particular day... but with three stores in town, your chances are pretty good.

/Jim

15. Guppy51 macrumors member

Thanks I got mine MBA in HK with the student discount, no tax and few dollars exchange rate favorite to save a total of few bucks. The exchange rate saved me like $15.