Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rs7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Does anyone notice that Apple Stores lack theft detectors at the door (and least the ones I've been too). Anyone know why a company selling computer and other pricy equipment would do this? (I know it's probably hard to get a computer out...but small accessories and such. Also, what if you're about to be set up for a sale and the person walks away to get something and leaves the computer with you?)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
At my local Apple Store it would be virtually impossible to sneak out the door with any stolen products. All Apple products (computers, iPhones, and iPods) are kept in the back room, and all accessories require a 'thank you' sticker to be carried out the door.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
As said, everything is kept in the back of the store or behind the checkout counter, and all of the display models have alarms on them. I have also seen security guards looking through bags from time to time at my local store; clearly someone is watching.

rs7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
As said, everything is kept in the back of the store or behind the checkout counter, and all of the display models have alarms on them. I have also seen security guards looking through bags from time to time at my local store; clearly someone is watching.

In a store by me there are plenty of accessories on the walls. And if it's busy and packed it may be hard to patrol...especially some place like the NYC 5th Avenue Store (which I've been to once and is amazing :p )

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Most stores around peak shopping hours and peak business hours have plain-clothed loss prevention people on the floor. They're usually real easy to spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.