no time machine back ups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenp28, Jul 1, 2013.

1. kenp28 macrumors newbie

Black macbook osx 10.6.8 using ext usb drive for time machine back ups.About a month ago macbook drive needed replacing succesfuly restored my entire drive from time machine back ups.Backed up new system to ext drive with time machine turned off ext drive.a few weeks later was surfin net when I got a black screen all of a sudden rebooted macbook to only get grey apple screen booted from OSX dvd ran disk utility to repair disk and got message disk unrepairable.Erased and installed OS went to restore from ext Time machine drive and old backups were gone and only 2 backups existed from after hard drive replacement and they were incomplete.Ran disk utility on ext drive it tested fine.Where are my old back ups in timemachine and how do I accesss them?Never got any kind of message from Time machine other than it has been a while since last back up.Any input would be helpfull I lost a lot of data that I thought I had backed up but doesn't appear to be there on ext drive.Time machine only shows back ups since hard drive replacement and what is there is incomplete like zero items in desktop folder nothing in documents folder absolutely useless back up

2. PajamaPants macrumors member

Maybe it is because that you used the same device to store the new Time Machine backups?
    Other than that I have no idea how to help you, maybe someone more experienced with this will show up.

Good luck!