No to Shutoffs!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gattz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

Is there anyone else like me who just never shuts down his/her laptop and/or PC? I always just put them to sleep. It is too much of a hassle to me to shutoff and turn back on ever since I started using the sleep function. Though I have no idea how much energy is wasted by doing this. Should I stop for the sake of saving electricity and money?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Attached Files:

3. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I never turn off my MB. One time I had a full charge and left it at home for a vacation. Came back a week later and my battery was at 80%.

I know some people say its good to restart once in a while, but I do that often enough when I switch over to boot camp to work on quickbooks for work.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've gone as much as two month before having to reboot. Safari on my Mac Pro started lagging really bad one day and I had no choice but to reboot.

Other than that, my computers sleep when I am not using them. Only problem is during power failures, I lose everything that I had open. This happens on my Mac Pro and iMac. My laptops are fine of course due to the batterys.

5. dannomac macrumors member

I measure the time between Apple service releases by my PowerBook's uptime. That should give you an idea of how often it's rebooted :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should be calibrating your battery at least once a month, as Apple recommends. That would mean draining your battery until power-off.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yep youre very right. If your not gonna use it for more than like 2 days shut it off. And is the like, less than a min start up time too great?

8. dannomac macrumors member

I quite often let it drain until it goes to sleep, then do a full charge. That doesn't involve shutting it down.

PowerBooks take a long time to start up. That's why I don't shut it down often.