No Torrents with Sandy Bridge? (with link)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aCondor, Jan 6, 2011.

1. aCondor macrumors 6502

2. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I didn't see any mention of torrents in the article. From what I see it looks like it will have copy protection built into the chips, which will make the studios feel better about providing content to people digitally.

You'll still be able to use torrents.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Where in that link did it say torrents are blocked? I don't use them but some games use torrents as an update mechanism. I saw references to built-in copy protection but nothing that really said the delivery mechanism used by current pirates would be affected. Of course I don't see as well as I used to...

Cheers,

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't see a single mention of torrenting or restricting downloading at all in that article.

5. aCondor thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I just saw "copyright protection" and freaked myself out. Thanks for the quick info.

If not limiting torrents, what would built-in copyright protection be able to do?

6. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I think that applies to the content itself, not how the content gets onto the computer. So for example: you download a movie from the studio, part of the code in the file(s) is the copyright protection, the rest of the code is the movie itself.

7. aCondor thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like this won't be able to do much to stop piracy, then.

8. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

The only way to truly stop pirates is for the studios/record labels to put out the content for free. Otherwise there will always be someone who wants it for free and someone who will crack the protection in place.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

torrents can be used legitimately too ya know ;)

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Either that or just take the knees out from under the greedy bastards like the 99 cent itunes purchase did. The studios finally woke up and realized people wouldn't pay $15 for a dozen recordings just to get the one they wanted.

Hardcore pirating will always exist but I firmly believe that given a reasonable price most people will gladly pay for it rather than steal it.

The new Mac App store looks quite promising in this regard.

11. aCondor thread starter macrumors 6502

Truth. But do you really think a studio will sell their music at a "reasonable" price. Hell, they had to have their arms twisted to hop on the iTunes bandwagon.

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If they want to survive, they have no choice. iTunes is evidence of that.

Consumer arm-twisting. Like I said, people just had enough and the current sales model for the record industry was forced to adapt.