No TouchID at Start Up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Sep 27, 2018.

1. MBX macrumors 68000

Hi there

I have a MBP 2018 base model with i7. And a 'root password' at start up before loading into the OS.

However I always have to type in the password manually when booting up and TouchID isn't available yet. Why?

I don't understand why they can't have TouchID active already at the first password prompt?

2. leman macrumors G3

As far as I understand it, it's a security feature (something to do with being tamper-proof and all that) — but I am sure that there are people more knowledgeable on the matter.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Same methodology as iphone/ipad, apple are thoroughly against using biometric authorisation at bootup, always have been.

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

On my Mac, there’s explanatory text that says password is required at boot time, and that Touch ID is unavailable until a working password has been entered.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah that's what I mean.

Why would it be different at boot up than at any other time? I don't see why it's any different security wise.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

You have to enter your password after rebooting just like on an iOS device.

This is because your password is required to decrypt biometric data on the T1 / T2 chip. Otherwise the “Secure Enclave” where your biometric data is stored cannot be accessed.

Once you’ve provided your key to unlock the biometric data, this data can be used until the chip is powered down again.

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502