No Traffic info on the UK iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dodonutter, Nov 2, 2007.

1. dodonutter macrumors regular

Just watched the UK version of the guided tour and i noticed that there is no demo of the traffic button as there is in the US one and the button is greyed out not bright like the directions button opposite it.

I was looking forward to getting traffic info...shame it seems to be US only

Shots below are from the guided tour vids, UK on the left, US on the right

Attached Files:

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

This is a google thing rather than an iphone thing. We don't get traffic info on Google maps like the americans do.

3. zed2 macrumors 6502a

tho the fact that it's greyed out rather than gone implies we might... I guess google will be working to bring that to the UK market.

4. dodonutter thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't realise that you could get traffic info on google maps at all but then again i didn't know you could use google earth as a flight sim until i saw the gadget show.

I was thinking the fact it was greyed out was promising rather than just gone or replaced by some other button

5. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

I don't know if that's something to raise your hopes by.

I'm in the U.S. and I just navigated to London and my traffic icon grayed out too. It looks like you're probably just getting the same exact application with the same limitations as we are. If you get an iPhone in London, I imagine you'll be able to navigate to Washington D.C. and see the traffic icon light up. Like the other poster said, it's a Google limitation rather than an Apple one.

6. dodonutter thread starter macrumors regular

Good point... probably just works in certain areas as you said so its pretty much up to google to put the feature in for the UK so the program can use it.

Ahh well least i can see if Steve is going to get stuck in traffic driving home from the office in Cupertino :p have to wait (and hope) for google to find a source of info for that here so i can actually make use of it.

Would be interesting to see if the M25 ever went green