No translucent menu bar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, May 31, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

hi
    i don't know why i can't have a translucent menu bar when i switch between the options in preferences. When i activate "translucent menu bar" it just becomes slightly darker but not translucent. And my graphicscard is GeForce 8600M GT (256mb) so there should be no question that it is able to do this core-image effect.

so what's going on, any idea? how can i have it back again?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Can you post a screen shot? Try using a different desktop picture and see if that changes it.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

yes i use full size desktop pics and it's the same with all. no need to post screenshots as it's self explanatory. the menu bar is simply not translucent when option activated.

and i have no idea why. i read apple posted a page where it explains that some older gfx cards can't do it but i have a fairly good and new one and have no idea why it's not working.

4. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Seriously, if you want an answer fast I would post a screenshot. Others may have had a similar issue.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

nevermind. i found the reason. i use onyx and there were additional menubar options overriding the standard preferences.

works again.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Why do people care about having a transparent menubar since Apple decided it would be ok to just taketh away transparent menus at 10.5.2? It no longer matches since Apple took away transparent menus at 10.5.2 with no option to keep menus the way MOST users want it = transparent with blur effect.

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Correction to my post above... there is at least a hack that works to get transparent menus back on 10.5.3 :D