No transparent menu bar for me?

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
My menu bar isn't transparent, as you can see in the screenshot. As you can also see, Quartz Extreme is supported, and Core Image acceleration is enabled.

What's happening?

Attachments

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
It appears that the transparent menu bar is not supported on the GeForce 5200 - I've seen this several times over a variety of machines in the last few days, the only common factor being a 5200-based graphics card...

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Bah, it's a lame static blurred effect anyway, not at all real-time. I don't see how the transparent menus are supported, but not the transparent menu bar which is technologically less advanced.

MaLt

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
mine's not transparent too. ;) guess we have the same specs.

Although I was wondering if there is a work around this. I find it weird because the menu bar is not transparent and the menus are transparent..

Galaxius

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
I'm running a SR 2.4ghz and mine isn't transparent either. I went to try finding how to change it to see how the transparent one looked, but I can deal with it being solid silver :)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Maybe your G4 powerbook isn't powerful enough to support transparency effects?
This is a nice theory if it weren't for the fact that the same transparency/blur effect is present in the menus on a G4 machine with the "disabled" menubar transparency. If it can be done on the menus it can be done on the menubar!

Personally I think this is a bug rather than a decision on the part of the Apple, unlike say, the lack of swirly moving vortex in Timemachine on a G4.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is a nice theory if it weren't for the fact that the same transparency/blur effect is present in the menus on a G4 machine with the "disabled" menubar transparency. If it can be done on the menus it can be done on the menubar!

Personally I think this is a bug rather than a decision on the part of the Apple, unlike say, the lack of swirly moving vortex in Timemachine on a G4.
Exactly!

My PB gives me the following effects:

Time Machine transitions and swirling effects
Dashboard rippling effect
right click menu with blurring transparency (same as menu bar!)

Those are just the ones I can think of at the moment. The only thing it won't do is the transparent menu bar. It's simply ridiculous.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Those are just the ones I can think of at the moment. The only thing it won't do is the transparent menu bar. It's simply ridiculous.
Think of it as a blessing in disguise, some people really want to turn the transparency off! :D

I'm willing to bet this gets fixed in a 10.5.1 release.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
A .1 fix would be cool. Just to be sure, I filed a bug report yesterday.

QuarterSwede: it's included in the dev tools.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
I don't get why they'd put in this purely artificial restriction then... clearly it's something that's technically supported.

Nice find.