No Tron:Legacy thread yet? *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CorvusCamenarum, Dec 17, 2010.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I was expecting a bit more from the 3D aspect of it - it was my first "new" 3D movie and if you're going to charge extra for the 3D experience, shoot the whole film in 3D.

The visual effects were nice, nice and updated and not quite as near-cartoony as the original.

Why do programs need to eat?

We just got back from the midnight release here so I'm tired and will probably add to this tomorrow. Feel free to discuss.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

For real?

That's like being disappointed with "The Wizard of Oz" because the whole thing was not in color... :eek:

The makers (Disney and the Producers) wanted technology to catch up to how they wanted to tell the story.

BTW: It was groundbreaking 28 years ago...

?

They're not "Programs"...

One of the best movies - ever...

But then, my opinion, some people may say this is the worst and like, say, "Mamma, Mia"...

One man's junk...

3. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Just got back from seeing it. The movie was great.

I did find that the 3D aspect was just not relevant. I forgot I was watching it in 3D. Same with Megamind. You'd think that Tron, with all that computer graphics would look great in 3D but all it did was dim the bright colors. I didn't notice anything really flying out of the screen, just stuff moving across the screen. Maybe my brain is just getting numb to 3D?

4. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Crap movie that needs to be thrown in the same pile with Matrix sequels and Star Wars prequels, hell the movie borrowed every action scene from them.
    Flynn pulls a "Jedi mind trick", every action scene was pulled straight out of the Matrix complete with slowdown, there were crappy disk duels, and the younger Flynn gets all excited after shooting down a plane. ("Don't get cocky kid!")

You'd think a company as big as would have more than one fat security guard watching the monitors, especially if Flynn was able to pull something off in the 80's.

Using a parachute at 50 feet up = non-stop hilarity.

The badguy's plan to send his army through the laser into the real world is pretty stupid since the laser is sitting in a 10 by 10 basement. Sending one plane through that thing and you're invasion plan becomes an excavation plan.

If you blinked you probably missed the tanks.

No bits or any mention of Master Control Program = lame.

If Flynn has God like abilities then why didn't he use them before?

How come nobody knows who and where they are but in the original EVERYONE knew where they were.

Tron is evil and you don't even know who the hell he is until near the end.

The style changed to dramatically between the movies, was this supposed to symbolize the rapid growth of technology? If it was then why does the original look so bland if it was made only a few years after the new one?

How come the Flynns can walk around the enemy base wearing blue against a red background and nobody notices them?

The only redeeming parts of this lame attempt for a sequel was the kinda cool visuals and Olivia Wilde in the spandex.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I heard it was crap, but then again, they have high-ish standards.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2010-1982=28 years...

Wow, this thread is the one that's crap.

I can see why the other real Tron Fans are not even bothering... :rolleyes:

End of line...

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I enjoyed it.

Not being a huge daft punk fan I was surprisingly impressed by the soundtrack.

8. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

He built the computer grid thing in 89'.

9. jbachandouris, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I watched the first IMAX showing on Friday. I liked it, but didn't love it. I probably will watch it at least one more time with friends because the first viewing, I try to pay attention to the plot. On the second time around, I just pay attention to the effects. I agree that the 3D didn't really add to much to it.

As for the soundtrack, I just added it to my MBP and iPhone.

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Wrong. It's like being disappointed because you were charged 25% extra for color and then the whole movie wasn't in it.

I saw it last night in IMAX 3D. I'm gonna give it a B-.

The effects are real cool. I really can't over-stress how cool the light cycle and plane sequences are. But they are only 5% of the whole movie.

The digitizing of Bridges' 1980's face into the new movie is believable as a human representation... but it doesn't look like him, really. At least not exactly.

The soundtrack (which I have had for a few weeks) works better in the movie than on album, but there are a couple of tracks in the movie left off the soundtrack, which sucks because they are more towards the typical Daft Punk sound.

In hindsight, I think if you really liked the original, you will be disappointed by this new movie in many ways. I'd compare it to Star Wars in the way the prequels had none of the "charm" or "soul" of the original, even though they were vastly superior technologically.

My biggest beef is the story line. There's a few huge-ass gaps in plausibility, but my main issue is that there is almost no implied connection between the two worlds. In Tron, there were analogies between outside/inside the grid, and there were cues about users affecting programs and vice versa. Here in the new movie, it's either laid out matter-of-factly, with no explanation - or ignored completely. It's a bit hard to explain, but it's almost like the similarities between the movies are only the light cycles, data disks, and Jeff Bridges.

Meh. It's a very slick film, but the technology is not as patently gee-whiz obvious as in, say, Avatar. Tron Legacy is too geeky to be a smash blockbuster, and too imperfect to survive only on the nostalgia crowd draw. Not sure where it fits into the grand scheme. :confused:

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Best parts are the light bike scenes and disc games. The recognizers are pretty sweet.

funniest part: Kevin Flynn asks Sam "What's been going on in the real world?" Sam replies, "global warming and war in the middle east." LOL Pretty sure that was going on in 1989 as well.

For a old Tron fan like me, the movie was great, wicked awesome in some parts.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just got back from watching it with teh girlfriend. Absolutely blown away. Watched it on the IMAX in 3D. Whilst yea, there wasn't much in the way of 3D, I liked how they saved it for the Grid bits.

Loved it. We both absolutely loved it.

13. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Did you catch that the two DJ programs in the bar are in fact Daft Punk?

I would hazard a guess that the difference you outlined has a lot to do with how we perceive computers today versus how we did back in '82, when they were still magical, mythical devices that most people didn't understand (compared with the average person's level of understanding today). Note the difference between man and machine whilst typing away then and now. Understandable English versus lines and lines of code.

I really wish they had delved a little more into the character of Clu, as he's obviously Clu v2.0.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He was still "dogged and relentless."

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The plot was the same as so many other sci-fi flicks. There is an evil dictator who controls a world, evil dictator pursues the heroes while the heroes try to escape, at the last minute there is a confrontation, a sacrifice (Jeff Bridges dies to save his son and his new girl) and then the escape back into the real world where the hero is finally ready to take control of his destiny--which is to control the company. I guess that was pretty much the plot of every 80's sci-fi flick though so you could say its simply keeping to the original.

I did love the visuals and action scenes--definitely worth seeing in 3D.

The scene where those chickies stripped his clothes off so get him into his costume was hilarious.

16. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I knew that going in, but it's not like it would've mattered who was behind the masks. ;)

Something that a friend brought up: the "Zeus" character is a straight rip of the Merovingian from the Matrix movies. I didn't notice it during Tron because "Ziggy Stardust" popped in my head instead - but that whole character, scenario, and plot was practically lifted from elsewhere. Bah.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Tron also had heavy 2001 and Blade Runner references.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, you seem very much an expert/critic yet don't even know a basic Cinema/Story technique of "Contrast"...

So, here's a basic lesson...

"The Wizard of Oz" - Real World = B&W, The Land of Oz = Color (which was the forefront of moviemaking in the 30's).

"TRON" - Real World = Real, The Grid = Computer Animation (the forefront of moviemaking in the 80's)

"TRON Legacy" - Real World = 2D, The Grid = 3D

Mostly FUD as far as critics of it. Most people on other forums hated the movie - they thought it was a "terrible re-boot"... :eek:

19. kolax macrumors G3

Saw it in 3D IMAX. Thought it was pretty awesome too. Shame very little was actually in 3D.

Daft Punk soundtrack made it.

20. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Fanboy much? :rolleyes:

Your condescending lesson is unnecessary - even my 5-year-old understands cinematic representation when it's that literal (I'm surprised you didn't mention the "A-Ha - Take On Me" music video as another example).

However... it's a bad analogy - the comments here were about cost. Your incorrect logic would mean that anyone who did not see the movie in 3D would be missing a huge part of the cinematic experience. Furthermore, you would have to pay extra to get "the full experience." Did they charge more for Oz? Did they show a cheaper version of TRON in 1982 that didn't have computer animation representing the grid?

Nearly everyone I know (none of them "experts" as you probably define them), say that the 3D was a waste of time, and I agree. Representation FAIL.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I think it has to do with "personal preference" - not everyone has the same likes/dislikes as you do, and if they don't have the same as you do - it doesn't make them inferior or a FAIL-ure....

Nearly everyone I know are going out of their way to see the 3D, and those that saw it in 2D want to see the 3D. All, not "Fanboys" (as you call them), love the movie, and some didn't see the original until very recently. So, yes, they are "missing out". And there must be a reason that the industry is coming out with 3D monitors and disc players... :rolleyes:

Also, maybe most were unable to see the 3D because not all theaters in the country are set up to play a digital 3D movie...

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

The only power observed was that of 'rm -rf /' he clearly didn't want to destroy the system without saving the isomorph. CLU was clearly shown as being more powerful than Flynn in every respect but this.