"No trouble found/original product shipped"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chrismball, Oct 12, 2007.

1. chrismball macrumors newbie

Just a quick question out of curiosity. Has anyone ever sent their ipod or other apple product in for repair/replacement only to have their original item sent back?

I sent my ipod touch, which had an unacceptable amount of stuck pixels throughout the LCD, in for replacemet and after a week of diagnosing the repair status shows "No trouble found" & "Original product shipped". I'm hoping they aren't sending me the darn thing back especially after I had to drive 45-minutes last week to have an apple genius look at it, and then having to mail it them since their store was out of stock.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, I had that with my first colour iPod. Half the time it wouldn't go to sleep when holding Pause, so I sent it back and they said they couldn't replicate the issue. It also scrolled a lot slower than my old B&W model, but they claimed that there was nothing wrong there either. A couple of months later it completely died and they replaced it with a brand new one … with the same problems.

I've subsequently discovered that it won't sleep with the drive running. If I hold it up to my ear and wait for the drive to spin down, then it'll turn off properly. It still scrolls slowly though.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, I spoke with Apple about an issue with my iPod Nano a few years ago. They informed me that if I sent it in, and they either found that the issue wasn't covered by their warranty or if they were unable to find the issue, that they would just ship it back.

Further, they informed me (and the paper in the return shipping box also stated) that they would charge me if I sent them the device to be inspected and they couldn't find an issue or if the issue was not covered by their warranty terms.

So, it was a bit of a gamble. The issue was minor enough that I opted not to take the risk of sending it in for service / replacement. Basically, I was being threatened with a $100 fee if they decided not to fix the minor issue.

They may have changed their policy since. But, I remember seeing similar statements on the return form for the old Apple Mouse that I returned because the clicker didn't work. I think the statement on that one was that they would charge me $25 if the mouse was received and found to not have an issue or was not covered by warranty.

Basically, it was worded as a service charge for labor (a diagnostic fee).

4. chrismball thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to be so pissed off tomorrow, I just know it. They have completely wasted my time for two weeks, when I should have just demanded a refund from the moment I first recieved the faulty device.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, watch out for a surprise charge. Hopefully they won't bill you or your card.