No turn by turn with 2.1? Come on Apple!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rubdom, Sep 12, 2008.

1. rubdom macrumors member

I was really disappointed that turn by turn directions was not part of this update. I thought that this would be the "secret feature". What is Apple waiting for? I am even willing to pay for this ability. I'll even pay a monthly fee. Is the iphone not capable of this? What is going on?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When did Apple saying it was coming? When did they say there was a "secret feature"?

3. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

I think Apple just wanted to focus on bug fixes this time around. And I actually think that was a good choice. First get the OS stable, then add (big) new features.

I believe the iPhone is capable of turn-by-turn Nav, it's just a matter of getting the software to realize this potential. I guess we can only wait... I think Apple might just leave this feature as a big new selling point for firmware 3.0. But who knows?!

snverhallen

4. sibruk macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that there are a load of new capabilities in 2.1's Location Services. And that it will now take a developer to make use of them.

5. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Seriously? What gave you that idea? Of all the rumors about what is likely to come, I don't recall seeing this one.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Keep the faith and hope for it in 2.3 before the holidays. Remember that 2.1 was so buggy that I'm sure all available developers were under extreme presser to drop what they were doing and to fix bugs as fast as possible.

7. vegas-steven macrumors regular

did this really surprise you? Steve jobs told people what the update was yet people still complian what isn't there (which he never promised would come).

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't be possible for Apple itself to supply turn-by-turn since there is a ton of licensing issues to be sorted out. Third-party companies (TomTom, TeleNAV) already possess the rights (or own the maps themselves); in fact, Google is explicitly forbidden from offering turn-by-turn (either voice or automatically-updating text [i.e. where the text turn-by-turn updates as you move]) because of their license agreement with map suppliers.

You're just going to have to be patient; I sense that the first real-time guidance apps are closer than we think.

9. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

At no point did anyone at Apple, or anyone at all for that matter, allude to the fast that turn by turn would be coming with this update. Why would you automatically just assume?

10. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Sell me the turn-by-turn missing iPhone to me. :)

I'm glad they got the bugs worked out in this update. I rather have a working sms app over turn by turn navigation.

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

As Nikhil72 pointed out, Google will never offer turn by turn, at least not until the GPS mapping business changes substantially. Google did not purchase the rights from Navteq to use the map data for that purpose, and if they did, Google Maps would NOT be free to all of us.

Someone may offer a standalone application for the iPhone that will do this, perhaps Tom Tom, but until then, I suggest just ponying up for a real dedicated GPS device (ie go get a Garmin). It's honestly the better way to go. I've tried using a phone before as a GPS, and they never work as well, plus when you get a call it interrupts your directions.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought a shiney new Garmin Nuvi 850 last night. Awesome GPS that understand speach commands.

Technology on a real GPS will always be so far ahead from what you can get on a phone anyways.

13. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Here's a positive:

After the 2.0.1 update, a bunch of people complained that GPS stopped working. I have not heard anyone complain yet that GPS stopped working after the 2.1 update. :)

14. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Genius is the secret feature.

If you tap while an iTunes song is playing, the Genius icon will appear.
    I haven't tapped the Genius icon yet. I'm going to experiment with Genius on
    my computer before I mess with my phone.

[​IMG]