Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Sad that Apple did not release a TVOS update yesterday to fix the "up next garbled text" among a few other issues that they normally would have released. I know they care about ATV because they released a new model the past 2-years and word has it we will get another new model next year. Hopefully they will release an update soon to correct some of the bugs.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It's doubtful they would hold up the release to fix an issue unless it is a showstopper. I doubt the garbled text is considered a showstopper. I wouldn't expect much different than the RC build.

• Sad
Reactions: jwolf6589

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Sad that Apple did not release a TVOS update yesterday to fix the "up next garbled text" among a few other issues that they normally would have released. I know they care about ATV because they released a new model the past 2-years and word has it we will get another new model next year. Hopefully they will release an update soon to correct some of the bugs.
Scheduled Jan 25th, the tvOS 16.3 topic has a post with that info.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I was also surprised by no TV update. As my other devices were updating I turned on the box expecting an update to be there, but nope.

• Sad

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It's doubtful they would hold up the release to fix an issue unless it is a showstopper. I doubt the garbled text is considered a showstopper. I wouldn't expect much different than the RC build.
Perhaps the remote issues that ATV 4K 3rd generation users are experiencing is.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
How do you know?
AACD1C21-CBA2-4E49-9A4C-28EEEDB25B14.jpeg

Edit: and it’s out a day earlier 🙄
Downloaded and installed on both my Apple TV’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realityck

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The update is out and it is the same build number as the RC build from last week so there are no new changes since then.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The update is out and it is the same build number as the RC build from last week so there are no new changes since then.
Always got tvOS 16.4 beta soon, maybe Thursday or Friday as this came a day sooner then what was previously posted for tvOS 16.3 release.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It’s out now.
They did not fix the up next garbled text issue. Apple also did not fix the alarm clock issue on the Mac and I bet a donut did not fix the iPad issue of it wanting to shut down the OS randomly. Definitely a bug that gets me to that screen on the iPad.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
At least you know the remote pairing issue was addressed, the Dolby Atmos changes I am curious to what Apple has finally modified?
I hope they fixed that problem for new Apple TV owners. I am not experiencing this problem but I have a ATV 4K 2021 model.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
tvOS 16.x needs a lot of fixing. Apple has gotten terribly bad at programming in the past several years. I’m having to use my Fire TV Cube 3rd gen to watch Philo TV as the ATV 4K 2022 version of the app is garbage. That is likely a Philo TV programming issue though, but maybe not considering how buggy tvOS 16.x is.

Just updated to tvOS 16.3 and was surprised that the remote actually connected instantly rather than having to wait a few (to several) minutes after performing the update. The new remote is crap though. I, and several others around the internet, have been experiencing sticky buttons. I have two that are sticking, the TV/Control and the Mute buttons. They started acting sticky several weeks after I received the device. Apple probably uses cheap a$$ parts…

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
tvOS 16.x needs a lot of fixing. Apple has gotten terribly bad at programming in the past several years. I’m having to use my Fire TV Cube 3rd gen to watch Philo TV as the ATV 4K 2022 version of the app is garbage. That is likely a Philo TV programming issue though, but maybe not considering how buggy tvOS 16.x is.

Just updated to tvOS 16.3 and was surprised that the remote actually connected instantly rather than having to wait a few (to several) minutes after performing the update. The new remote is crap though. I, and several others around the internet, have been experiencing sticky buttons. I have two that are sticking, the TV/Control and the Mute buttons. They started acting sticky several weeks after I received the device. Apple probably uses cheap a$$ parts…
I have no problems at all with the new remote at least on the 2021 ATV.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Just updated to tvOS 16.3 and was surprised that the remote actually connected instantly rather than having to wait a few (to several) minutes after performing the update.
That's because 16.3 didn't need to perform a firmware update on the remote.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I have no problems at all with the new remote at least on the 2021 ATV.
The 2022 remote is newer and likely has different internal parts, perhaps from different suppliers. It could just be that a bad batch of buttons were used in a manufacturing run. My 2021 remote was okay.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The 2022 remote is newer and likely has different internal parts, perhaps from different suppliers. It could just be that a bad batch of buttons were used in a manufacturing run. My 2021 remote was okay.
Hmm….. I won’t upgrade then.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York

I have no problems at all with the performance of both my 2022 Apple TV 4K’s, and both remotes work absolutely flawlessly.

As far as the performance of the Apple TV goes, maybe a complete reset would help fix the performance issues you are having?

As far as the issues with the remote goes, get an alcohol wipe and give the remote a good wipe down, especially around the buttons that are sticking. That may help with the issue, if not, the remotes are still under warranty and you could call Apple and much more than likely get a new one sent to you. Pain in the you know what, however, if the remote bothers you that much, go for it.

:apple:

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It might just be a bad batch of remotes. Given time Apple will likely fix the issue.
I have no reason to upgrade as my 2021 ATV works just fine. The A15 chip, added RAM, added disk space, and USB-C remote are great but I recently upgraded. My parents however should upgrade from their ATV HD unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.