Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiedoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Hey everyone,

Here's the scenario:

Late 2010 MBA 11"- In mozilla (newest version) I can no longer 2 finger swipe back and forth through pages. However, in safari I can. And yes, in system prefs, swiping pages is enabled for two finger AND three finger swipes.

It lets me 3 finger swipe back and forth through mozilla but not 2. Any ideas as to why this is?

thanks guys and gals.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I noticed the same problem in Chrome. I suspect Better Touch Tool can fix this, by turning the two-finger swipe into whatever shortcut the browser uses for "back."

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Because pretty much only Safari supports two finger swipes. Yep, Apple released a new OS and defaulted the swiping to work with only one program. That's brilliance right there. If you want to swipe in other programs, including iTunes, Finder, Chrome, etc you need to enable 3 finger swipes (or 2 and 3) and then swipe in everything except Safari with 3 fingers. This is Microsoftian in its stupidity.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Yeah, it's bugging me too. Can't Google/Mozilla update their browsers to be like Safari though? Surely it'll come soon, assuming the aforementioned is possible.

Kiedoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
THANK YOU... at least im not crazy... haha. but still is crappy. What the best app to fix this for now?

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Yeah, it's bugging me too. Can't Google/Mozilla update their browsers to be like Safari though? Surely it'll come soon, assuming the aforementioned is possible.

Of course they can. The bigger question is why did Apple not make their own software compatible with it.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
If you havent messed around with the settings, then four finger swiping left and right by default will serve as the two finger swipe for all programs.

I changed a couple of settings, then changed it back to the defaults, but because its buggy as hell, I don't have the 4 finger swipe back. Instead, I'm stuck with 4 finger swipe activating spaces, even though I dont have 4 finger enabled!

Wonder how long it'll take for them to push an update for this crap.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I had this issue to. I'm not sure which setting change fixed it, but I turned natural scrolling off and changed the swipe between pages setting to 3 fingers.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Of course they can. The bigger question is why did Apple not make their own software compatible with it.

I think it has to do with how gestures are implemented in general. Even in iOS, gestures are passed on to the app to handle. It'll help tell you what the gesture was, but it doesn't have a magical translation into app-specific commands or anything.

Since 2-finger scroll and 2-finger back/forward share the same gestures, it isn't something you can really implement correctly at the OS level. The app itself needs to be able to detect the edge of the page and decide "okay, now it's time to call it back/forward".

It's a tradeoff for being able to clean up the gestures in OS X enough to even allow for that dual-behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.