No unlocked iPhone 4S at launch in the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Oct 6, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

The device will NOT be available unlocked at launch. Just got this information from an Apple rep via chat:

2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I got the same information- i was going to buy unlocked as I am out of contract, they said I would have buy from either AT&T or wait.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Not surprising really but when will it be available?

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I've been told three months maximum but that is unconfirmed.

5. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Does this mean we can't buy the device off contract from Apple at launch!?

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You cannot. You must sign a two-year contract at this time when buying an iPhone 4S. This will change only when they begin to offer an unlocked model.

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

This is not good for me. :( I was hoping to spend big bucks to get my unlocked iPhone 4S because I'm between the US and Jamaica.

I guess I'll have to wait.

8. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow that SUCKS...what about if you buy it from at&t!?

----------

Where did you get this info? I just held a chat with an Apple rep and she said you will be able to pre-order for full retail:

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Same.

----------

You didn't ask if you'd have to sign another contract, ask that and they say yes.

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I have no problem signing another contract. If I'm willing to sign one then I can get the 4S for retail price from Apple?

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You asked if you could buy one off contract, I interpreted it as you didn't want to sign a contract. Yes you can buy the iPhone 4S, you must sign a contract no matter what at this time. You could buy it at out of contract price even if your contract is a day old. Check this for pricing: http://itsalltech.com/2011/10/04/no...s-out-of-contract-pricing-remains-consistent/

12. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Ridiculous. I have money in hand, ready to pre-order at 12:01. But Apple won't sell me the product. If I were in Canada or Hong Kong it would be no issue, so what's the problem with selling an unlocked phone in the US?

Wake up Apple, your customers want to buy your product but you won't sell it to them!

Edit: Apple is really shooting themselves in the foot. People who have 650-850 USD to spend on a phone are people you want to keep as customers. People who travel around the world with your unlocked phone are like free worldwide marketing.

13. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Or drive up to Canada.

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

any more info on this? I want to buy an unlocked 4s in the USA. Is there a reliable source?

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You cannot buy an unlocked iPhone 4S in the U.S. at launch. It is confirmed.

16. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

When I say source, I was hoping for something from Apple.

When will they become available unlocked? Did this happen with the 4?

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Apple sales told me that an unlocked model will not be offered at launch. The iPhone 4 was unlocked until earlier this year.

18. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Sorry...I'm a little confused. Are iPhone 4's available to be unlocked? I know the 4S won't be available unlocked at launch but will it be available unlocked at a later date?

I'm a US customer on AT&T. I'd really prefer not to have to jailbreak my phone to be able to use it when I travel and use local SIM cards. I still don't understand why every other phone can be legally unlocked but iPhones can't. It's frustrating.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Iphone 4 can be bought unl0cked right now. The 4S will be avail as well, but don't know when.

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I still wonder if the GSM portion of the Sprint / Verizon phones will be unlocked.

Buy a out of contract Verizon 4s and use on AT&T.....

21. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Well, I already have an iPhone 4 that is on AT&T. Can I have it unlocked officially? That doesn't sound like something AT&T would do. lol

I wasn't going to upgrade to the 4S but if/when it's available unlocked, I will scoop it up in a second.

22. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

AT&T won't unlock any iPhone at the moment. I tried as I'm out of contract and they wouldn't do it.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is from Apple.

So, it will work in Europe, but maybe just with your carrier's roaming agreements which is total BS if you ask me. A world phone should mean true portability not just outrageous roaming fees. But, then Apple as usual isn't all that clear about this. I'm sure it's one of those issues that will be hashed out later on.

24. profets macrumors 68040

If it's true then that really sucks.. I mean, whats the point in not selling non-subsidized unlocked iPhones in the US when they do everywhere else?