No update to Aperture???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hulfordp, Oct 23, 2012.

1. hulfordp macrumors member

Apple is really disappointing me due to the lack of upgrading of Aperture......#applefail

2. Razeus macrumors 603

Nope.

I don't think Apple has software teams any longer. They have iOS, OS X and hardware design teams these days. That's it.

How else do you explain the Final Cut fiasco?

How else do you explain the lack of new versions of the software of:

Aperture
    iPhoto
    iMovie
    Garage Band
    Pages
    Numbers
    Keynote

They haven't seen significant updates, new useful features, or new versions since, what, 2009?

I use to tell people to try both Aperture and Lightroom and pick the one you like interfacing with best. Now I just tell people to use Lightroom. Don't even bother with Aperture.

It's priced at $80 for a reason - Apple knows it can't compete with the technology and features within Lightroom and there for dropped the price accordingly. We are approaching a year since the release of LR4, and still no word on Apple's offering. Apple doesn't do desktop software anymore. You'll only see updates that involves connectivity to some new version of iOS.

The good old days are long gone.

3. hulfordp thread starter macrumors member

It's really annoying....frustrating....disappointing....

They seem to be catering to kids and teens now, not even design students or graphics designers. I have been avoiding Lightroom, but Apple seems to be pushing my hand with this one

Apple has become all about profits and not product anymore

4. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Actually FCPX is a quite competitive NLE atm. They plugged the holes pretty quickly, and todays update brings finally native RED support which was one of the last missing pieces.

5. mlblacy macrumors 6502

there was a brief mention of Aperture4...

I watched the streaming version, and at one point there was a mention of Aperture4... I may be wrong, but it stuck out to me.

Also, I use A3 everyday professionally. Not sure what LR4 offers that you are so desperately missing. If you are frustrated with the pace, switch. I am sure Adobe would be happy to annually gouge you for an additional "number", and few worthwhile changes. Personally I would never switch.

As far as "Apple has become all about profits and not product anymore" is a silly statement, considering they released a new gen iMac, a 13" Retina MacPro, and a mini iPad.

Their pace of development may not suit you, but that just goes to show that you can't please everyone, and some not at all.

6. Macist macrumors 6502a

Right. There's this persistent myth that FCPX 'sucks'. The launch was handled badly but it's winning legions of fans, many who rave about the expressive, fast way you can edit. I think other editors look kinda turgid by comparison.

Back to topic I really hope Apple do continue to innovative with Aperture. There are some things that are much better than Lightroom but it's generally well out of date in comparison.

7. Razeus macrumors 603

There was mention of Aperture, not Aperture 4.