No updated iMac on Thursday?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RedlegsFan, Oct 22, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

So, now the latest is that the new, updated iMac's will NOT be coming out this year, but early 2017. Anyone believe this?

I sure hope not, I have been holding off, like a lot of folks, waiting for updated machines but if nothing is released until early next year I will most likely pull the trigger on the 2015 model. Kind of a bummer if true.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The current one is fine. Only serious issue (other than the models still selling with no SSD) is the lack of USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports. Better wait until the event is over to be sure, but I could definitely see them holding off until desktop Kaby Lake becomes available.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea it's a bummer if they don't come out Thursday. At the very least I'm just hoping they announce it and show it off.

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Utterly bummed out by this. I hope they are wrong and we get an iMac in November like every year

5. 59Burst, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

59Burst macrumors member

59Burst

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

7. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

It might be worth waiting a few days before making a decision...

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I really hope this 'blogger' is just full of crap.. And I hope even more so, that Apple has their stuff together.
    I am not buying the one they've got on sale right now.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Really disappointed. First time in my life I decide to get a desktop and no new one. :(

Aw well, I can wait longer. The current one may be great, but I can't pay top $ for something that will be updated soon. I don't care about a redesign, but I would like RAM and storage upgrades.

10. ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

11. AnatomyProf macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

Although I had planned on making an instant purchase of an upgraded iMac I may purchase a new MacBook Pro if there is no iMac upgrade. I would prefer the bang for the buck in the iMac, but I need something by January to replace my dead iMac and I'd rather by new tech than old, even if it isn't particularly powerful because of the limits of the laptop form.

12. vapourtrails macrumors member

I think this cannot be right. The hello again tag line is a direct reference to the old iMac.

13. enc0re macrumors member

14. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I have tried to give this news a bit of time to sink in and figure out my alternatives, and compromises.

But I am not happy one bit. This delays my projects that are pending for January->Dec 2017 so much, and investing this much money in a computer from last year.. etc.

I just can't do it.

I really hope this is one of those rumors that is just utter bs and we get a proper mac line update.

What kind of "mac line" is it if they update an iPad and a laptop. And leave the rest hanging again?

15. HalfNelson macrumors member

I want to echo the hope that this is utter BS. I will be utterly disappointed if there are no new iMacs before the end of this year.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The iMacs already have skylake processors and desktop kaby lake processors aren't available yet so it makes sense for Apple to wait until they're available to update the iMac

17. Goody13 macrumors member

I can't believe how much a computer company not updating the computer that was released a year ago appears to be ruining people's lives.

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I really would suggest people to first calm down and still wait for the event on Thursday before making up their minds.

19. garethjs macrumors 6502a

thank god. I update every year. I went from retina 5k series 1 to retina 5k series 2. And will likely do the next but I'm so happy I'll have some time to save up. I usually top spec it and its going to cost a bit.

20. NostromoUK macrumors regular

HP are going to make a killing if no iMac or Mac Pro updates. Apple have pushed our patience too far.

21. AnatomyProf macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

Not ruining lives, but disappointing if it happens. Some of us must buy something now because of projects that must be done. My old iMac died. Something will be bought by January. I hope it is a new Mac desktop with SSD. That would best fit my needs. I really don't want a PC as I have the Mac software I need and I'd have to add the PC version price of a PC. I also do not care for Windows. I'd be completely ok with drive and port upgrades, perhaps with a small increase in processor speed. It wouldn't make much sense to pay a premium for a year old model. I think that matches many perspectives here. I need something and can't wait. I hope it's an iMac, re-envisioned Mac, but it will be something. I'm still hoping we have a surprise, even if it isn't a big one.

22. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

There are other things they can do. 21.5" isn't on Skylake. Polaris GPUs are out. They could make 4K across the line/lower price, like they did for the 5K. Get rid of the ridiculous 5500rpm drive in the $1499 model. It doesn't have to be a major update or redesign, but there are things they could do for the iMac line.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2016 ---
    The article could be referring to a redesigned product, which could make sense, as the display and iMac might share some of that new design. Especially if the new display contains a GPU. So a minor update could still be on the way Thursday.

23. khollister, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Realistically, the only thing Apple could do to the iMac at this point is add USB-C/TB3 via the same controller in the laptops. Desktop Kabylake doesn't exist yet and there is no native TB3 support in Skylake. Personally, I would really like TB3, but there isn't much else Apple can do based on Intel's roadmap. It is anyone's guess whether they will re engineer that for an estimated 6-8 month lifespan. They have to redesign the internals as well as redo the back of the case. If they are really looking at an external redesign in 2017, all that work is throwaway once Kabylake desktop parts hit next year.

I'm sure it partly depends on their confidence in Intel hitting their roadmap dates

BTW - they are in the same rock and a hard place situation with the MP. Engineer a temporary hack job with Broadwell Xeon (no chipset PCIe 3 for USB 3.1/TB3) or wait for Skylake Xeon with native PCIe 3.0 and TB3. The CPU performance gains between Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Broadwell XEON parts are not huge, so I'm not too surprised at Apple waiting on that. It is all about USB-C & TB3.

I'm not getting embroiled in the GPU craziness - for my own MP use cases (photography and music composition) it has little relevance.

24. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

That's because we have different lives and needs than you.

25. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I desperately need a new iMac...but I'm not going to pay $2000 for a computer with an outdated and weak mobile GPU. I might stick to my Macbook, but this type of ignorance from Apple might force me to switch to Windows :(