Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I have never used an ipad, and am interested to buy one. But one thing I have heard is that it has no USB port. Is this true? Then how do I watch movies I own on my ipad? Is there someother method of transferring files onto the ipad? I mean, how do I even take out files from my ipad then?

thanks.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I have never used an ipad, and am interested to buy one. But one thing I have heard is that it has no USB port. Is this true? Then how do I watch movies I own on my ipad? Is there someother method of transferring files onto the ipad? I mean, how do I even take out files from my ipad then?

thanks.

Dowload "dropbox"- simple and effective.....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

thanks.

Erm, you plug it into iTunes just like every other iPhone/iPod before it.

No need for a USB port on an iPad.

manapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Erm, you plug it into iTunes just like every other iPhone/iPod before it.

No need for a USB port on an iPad.

Oh, okay. But I remember using my ipod, and how it was a pain to load videos on it. I required all kinds of conversions and stuff. Does the ipad play 1. divx, 2. mkv? Also, the transfer rate was soo slow with the ipod (I used the 1st generation video ipod). How fast is it compared to the usb? thanks.

You can make out, I truly am a novice. Haha.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Oh, okay. But I remember using my ipod, and how it was a pain to load videos on it. I required all kinds of conversions and stuff. Does the ipad play 1. divx, 2. mkv? Also, the transfer rate was soo slow with the ipod (I used the 1st generation video ipod). How fast is it compared to the usb? thanks.

You can make out, I truly am a novice. Haha.

With the iPod, you may have been using USB 1. That's the only reason I can think of for the transfer being so slow. Make sure your computer has USB 2, and the transfer speed will be acceptable. As for format, the iPad only accepts the same formats as the iPod. So no divx or mkv. However, get the Air Video app, and you can stream the video from your computer to the iPad, or you can set it to convert videos to iPad compatible format. It's the most painless video conversion program I've ever used for this purpose.

redhotline

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
I think USB port is musthave option. Not for connecting to PC, but for other devices. Like camera 4 example.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
No usb port! No problem. The new iPad has 2 cameras. So just set it up on a tripo and record your computer screen playing the movies you want and magically they will then be on your iPad.

manapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Okay, so transferring is not a problem, but it does not play all video divx, mkv...okay. I do have one more question...my father is a chess addict, and I want to buy him the ipad, only if yahoo games, chess works on it. Can someone please let me know if this works on the ipad. If it does not, there is no point in buying him the ipad. Not any other chess, but the yahoo games chess.

thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.