No Verizon exclusivity !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do not know why is it that everyone seems to want Verizon to get the iPhone so much.

I think that once VZW converts to LTE, Apple could just release an LTE/GSM iPhone, and allow you to go walk on over to a carrier you choose. If you want VVM, go with the VZW/AT&T, if you don't then let T-Mobile and other smaller GSM carriers with much better rates get a piece of the pie.

Currently, I am using an iPhone 3G on T-Mobile (Gevey SIM), and the 3G S has nothing in there to really excite me, all the features that are there, are already available through jailbreak, besides hardware features like Auto focus, or a digital compass (Big woop). MMS I can even get without the 3.0 Update, but no doubt, once jailbroken, I will be updating to 3.0, and hopefully have the ability to configure the native MMS to work on T-Mobile.

However, what would happen to all current AT&T users, if they decide to go all exclusive with Verizon? I say no to Verizon!

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

1) Nobody expects Apple to leave ATT for Verizon exclusivity. It would be in addition to ATT.

2) LTE is not GSM, and LTE does not necessarily mean a standard that would work on either Verizon or ATT out of the box. In fact, why in the world would those two huge competitors allow that? They each spent billions on LTE bandwidth, especially Verizon.

3) For quite some time, an LTE phone would also need a GSM or CDMA radio to fall back on outside of LTE coverage. Again, that makes it ATT or Verizon specific.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I find it hilarious that all my friends seem to "know for sure" that the iPhone is coming to verizon "very soon", even though they dont know a thing, and are basing it off a rumor spreading wildly around our high school.

and when I try to explain to them why this isn't possible, and that I would know before them if it was happening (because I obsess over iPhone news), they just refuse to believe me.