Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Humbolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
Hey guys,

so I just received my new Apple Watch SE yesterday. After playing around with it I have the strange problem that every 3rd party app notification (e.g. via gmail, whatsapp, instagram) that comes to the watch doesn't cause vibrations...
iMessage and Reminders work just fine, every other app though that is not by Apple has that problem.
I've re-startet and reset everything already (watch & iPhone XR, even factory reset on both) but the problem consists.
Anybody got any idea?

As for the settings, iPhone is in silent mode but has "Vibrate on Silent" on. Apple watch via app has "Notification Indicator", "Always Show Short Looks" and "Notification Privacy" on, below that all the apps are active too. Sounds & Haptic has "Silent Mode" on and "Haptic Alerts" on with setting to "Default". IPhone XR is on iOS 14, Watch on 7 (no updates or app updates available).

As I said, in theory it works for Apple Apps just fine and notifications are received from 3rd party apps too on the watch, just no vibration for it (which makes it kind of useless then).

Thanks!

antbob

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
It definitely should work. If you check those 3rd party apps in their Watch app notification settings and if they set to 'Mirror iPhone' try selecting 'Custom' instead and make sure sound is enabled and then see if that helps.

Another thing that might be happening is that haptic engine doesnt like too many haptic requests in short window of time (from too many notifications in this case) and if that happens it starts to ignore them til they settle down but that is unlikely bc at least the 1st one should go thru I would think.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Make sure on your phone those app notifications are set to have sound on (in the notification settings section of the Settings app). Haptics on the watch are tied to notification sounds on the phone.

Humbolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
ok i got it working now... funny thing is, i have everything setup properly (as described above), also there's not too many notifications coming in(i'm just trying one at a time). 3rd party apps only have a on/off toggle in the notifications btw.

i've managed to finally turn it on by setting "Sound" actually to on in the individual notifications settings on the iPhone! Whatever that has to do with one another...

edit: thanks @xraydoc for posting, just found it out that very second

antbob

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
3rd party apps only have a on/off toggle in the notifications btw.

on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to Notifications, scroll down to the apps list. There you can set Watch specific notifications settings for each app. Apps that are both iPhone and Watch apps normally set to mirror notification settings from iPhone but you can define custom settings there eg you want silent notifications on iPhone but not on the watch etc.

Humbolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to Notifications, scroll down to the apps list. There you can set Watch specific notifications settings for each app. Apps that are both iPhone and Watch apps normally set to mirror notification settings from iPhone but you can define custom settings there eg you want silent notifications on iPhone but not on the watch etc.

It actually only has an on/off switch for mirroring notifications in the Apple Watch app on iPhone, so there's nothing to customise.

antbob

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
It actually only has an on/off switch for mirroring notifications in the Apple Watch app on iPhone, so there's nothing to customise.

thats a separate list for apps that either do not provide a Watch app or its not installed on the Watch. on top of that list there is another list which has stock Watch apps are like Activity, Calendar, Mail etc as well as 3rd party Watch apps and this is where you can customize. I know its confusing but thats how Apple made it.

Humbolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
thats a separate list for apps that either do not provide a Watch app or its not installed on the Watch. on top of that list there is another list which has stock Watch apps are like Activity, Calendar, Mail etc as well as 3rd party Watch apps and this is where you can customize. I know its confusing but thats how Apple made it.
Oh sorry, yeah, you're right. But the problem only occurred on those apps that have this on/off switch only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.