No video after 10.5.7 update...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OverSpun, May 13, 2009.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

On my Mac Mini (Core2Duo 1.66Ghz 2gb Ram) I installed 10.5.7 this morning, and now after its about to load OS X after the white screen with the apple on it, the screen turns off and says "Video mode not supported" now.

I use my mac mini with a DVI > HDMI cable connected to my TV as a monitor and Its worked perfect like this for over 3 years, but now nothing... I tried putting it to sleep and waking it, turning off the screen and turning it back on, but the only thing i can get to show is the initial startup screen then it blanks out.

Anyone? This update sucks. Thankfully it didnt mess up my unibody macbook pro or I wouldnt have a computer at all right now... :mad:

2. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Ok, so after messing with it for a couple hours, I fixed it!

It turns out the issue was that the resolution of my TV was removed from the list of resolutions under displays in the control panel. I went and downloaded this switchresX program (http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/DL.shtml) and used the custom tab to manually enter in my resolution I needed and added it... restarted the computer and went back to the apple display section in the CP and voila! My custom resolution was there. Works great now!

The switchresx program is a 10 day trial, but you can uninstall it after using it to custom add a resolution to your displays panel so it stops popping up, which is good. I'm just glad I had another computer to screenshare into my desktop to do all this otherwise I wouldve been out of luck.

Theres a big writeup on all this on the apple support forums as well, but this should cover it for anyone else having the same issue.