No Video Capability Difference Between 3G and 3GS (?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Superman07, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

According to the tech specs on the Apple website the video rate and resoultion supported by both the 3G and 3GS is the same. If true I find this disappointing. 1) It's been a year and technology has progressed, 2) the Zune HD can support 1080p on board as well as output 1080p.

Is this just an example of Apple throwing the same specs up? Is the increased capability of the phone opening applications just a function of added RAM? The cost is kept down based on the same video chip as that in the 3G?

Edit: Not sure why this was moved from the HTF section. The encoding capability that the phone supports is directly related to encoding for other devices such as the ATV.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I think the internal hardware is a bit more powerful than the last generation, but there really isn't any point to putting out higher definition than the screen is capable of displaying as it just wastes space and battery (more calculations). The reason that it doesn't output 1080p may have something to do with the fact that Apple doesn't want the iPhone/iPod Touch to replace the Apple TV (which may be gaining 1080p output soon).

3. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Actually, I do see a reason to have the iPhone capable of reading HD videos. I have a few video podcasts that I download (mostly revision 3 stuff) and I like to have the HD version on my computer so that when I watch it full screen or display on my HDtv, it looks nice. However, I also like having the ability to place the video podcasts on my iPhone. What's the problem you ask? Well, in order to watch them on the iPhone, I have to download the "large quicktime" as opposed to the "hd quicktime" which means I have to download 2 versions of each video podcast, taking up precious space on my laptop's fairly small hard drive.

4. Superman07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly! That's why I'll be very surprised if this updated phone does not actually end up supporting 1080p.