No video icon in iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adutt, Oct 5, 2011.

1. adutt macrumors newbie

I have never used iChat before and am new to macs. I cannot initiate an audio or video call on iChat because the options are grayed out and there is no video icon next to my buddies.

More info: I am using a google talk account and trying to use iChat with other mac users. I have had two successful video calls on iChat when the other person called me. There was no video icon next to their picture in the buddy list until after they called and the icon disappeared when we hung up. However, one person I really need to iChat with also sees no video icon next to my picture on his list either and we are stumped.

I have looked at other threads and do not have internet sharing on, bandwith limit is set to none, under 'video' the microphone, camera, and screen sharing are enabled, and I can't find any other answers to this problem. I have successfully used the video on google e-mail with this person, but when we try to use iChat we cannot initiate a video call. We need to use the file-sharing feature over iChat so I need to find a solution to this problem.

I am using an iMac, OSX 10.6.8, iChat 5.0.3, not using wireless. Have also tried this from my macbookAir at home with same result.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iChat can use AIM and Apple accounts for video chat / screen sharing.

Google account is not made for iChat.

3. adutt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

That worked...I got myself an AIM account and now we can file share and video chat. THanks for your help.