NO video on start up?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by unklebilly, Mar 15, 2010.

1. unklebilly macrumors newbie

my 2003 powermac g5 dual 2.0 with added ram has problems with video when started at ambient temperatures of below 67 degrees.
    Would a new video card be a good place to start troubleshooting or does my problem most likely run deeper than that?

2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Ditch the added ram first

If that doesn't fix it, it could be your graphics card or almost anything else

3. unklebilly thread starter macrumors newbie

I stripped the ram down to the original and still no luck. Would the next logical step be the video card?

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Yes, but it could be a lot of different things... video card is the most "hopeful" option. Bad processor/logic board/ power supply could also exhibit those symptoms. If the re-seating and replacing the video card doesn't fix the problem try re-seating the processors next.

5. unklebilly thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware that you could reseat the processors. Is it difficult or risky?

6. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

7. unklebilly thread starter macrumors newbie

reseated the processors and it didn't help. I am confused as to which video cards will work with my g5? I tried an ati 9600xt but it didn't work at all.

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Here's some

Ebay!

Enjoy

edit: there's one on there for $20, a good tester, then if it works go back and get a X800 or 6800 Ultra

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Reseat the video card, sounds like either the video card or one of the power connectors is shifting a bit when it gets cold.

Though, the diagnostic tree for checking the bad video also includes grabbing a flashlight and looking for bent pins on the video cable and the socket it plugs into.