No video preview with Quick Look

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Quixotist, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Quixotist Guest

Hey, anyone know any reasons why Quick Look wouldn't show me a preview of any video I've tried? Sometimes it will show me a blank black screen where the video should be, and others it'll only be the grey Quick Look window. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you installed Perian and Flip4Mac?

What hardware are you running?

3. Quixotist thread starter Guest

I have Flip4Mac, and am running on a new MacBook Pro (15.4", 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo). I'll install Perian and take a look. The only other thing I can think of that might be worth mentioning is that I've associated .avis with VLC, but I tried associating them with Quicktime and that didn't change anything.

4. Quixotist thread starter Guest

Okay, I installed Perian and it didn't change anything. Still no preview, either within Finder or with Quick Look. It's odd though, because Finder will load the first frame as the image for the file in cover flow.

5. Quixotist thread starter Guest

Alright, I got a bit of stuff now. It works with .mov files, and it plays a bit of the audio of a .avi I have, but no video still.

6. Quixotist thread starter Guest

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Quicklook will not show previews of any MS related .avi file.

It does do *.mp4,*.m4v,*.mov et.

8. spasm_latg macrumors newbie

Not sure if this helps - but I did a restart after installing Perian, which made Quick Look and FR work fine with my .avi's (DivX, Xvid)

9. Quixotist thread starter Guest

Alright, I got it to work by installing the DivX player and codec. Thanks for the suggestions though guys.