No VoiceOver with Word Documents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Green Dragon, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Green Dragon macrumors newbie

Help! I am having great difficulty using VoiceOver with Word documents. I am a rehabilitation teacher for blind persons and would like to show a client how to use VoiceOver, but I can't get it to work inside of a Word document. I can navigate all around the window, but the text reading function does not appear to be activated--even though I turned on text reading in the VoiceOver verbosity settings under "text." I used VoiceOver with Word 2011 as well as an earlier version with the same result. I was able to use VoiceOver with the Mac TextEdit program, but given the limitations of that program, I would really prefer to use the Microsoft Word program. Can anyone advise me? I wrote a note to the Mac folks at their accessibility address and got no response.

--Green Dragon:confused:

2. macbookprose macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear you got no response from them. I have been using Voiceover successfully within a Word Document (Word '08).

Unfortunately, I don't have too many answers but hope this will bump it up to the top for some people who can help. Are you selecting the text before trying to have it read?