No Wait Here...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schuerman, Jun 25, 2007.

1. schuerman macrumors newbie

I went over to my local large ATT store over the weekend to inquire about what I should expect this week.

I was able to talk to the manager of the store. This particular store is what he called a "flagship" store.

I asked him if I should wait in line all day and he said, "No.".

I asked why and he told me that they were getting 600 units and he would be very, very surprised if they sold out.

I asked about data plan - he said - "we'll know sometime next week"

Granted it is a very populated area - and one of the largest stores in the region...600 units!

I know where I'm getting mine!!!!:D

2. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Just to give us an idea, where are you located?

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

4. Uptown710 macrumors member

Umm, why would he know about data plans next week....?

5. applehero macrumors 6502

His inquiry was over the weekend, it's habit to say, next week...

6. ps49556n macrumors regular

The only flagship apple store is the 5th avenue location. ANy employee who claims they know how many units they will be receiving is just talking **** to make them look important. If you are referring to the 5th ave store, 600 units will fly in an hour.:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

7. Uptown710 macrumors member

I refuse to go to the 5th ave store...tooo many people floating around that area

8. applehero macrumors 6502

He's referring to an at&t store, not an Apple store. Read the first line of the OP.

9. MLeepson macrumors 6502

He said AT&T Store, not Apple.

Edit: applehero beat me

10. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

bzzz - wrong answer. Apple has multiple flagship stores in cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Tokyo.

11. Turkish macrumors 6502

This guy (the guy the OP talked to) has NO IDEA how many phones they will get.

There is NO WAY that Apple would disclose that info.

12. qzak macrumors 6502

he says in the the first line you quoted, his local AT&T store, not Apple.

edit: beat to it as well.

13. ps49556n macrumors regular

14. ozthegweat macrumors regular

Why?

15. SycloneMedia macrumors newbie

Not entirely true. It's close to launch now. He mentioned it was the manager of the store, and managers are usually privy to that information since it has to do a lot with coordinating everything from taking delivery, to making room for stock, inventory counts, etc...

And it's not like ATT is a small company that would get pushed around by Apple. I would think Apple is the one who is happy to have a (read: single) telecom giant even agree to their unusual demands. ATT already had the majority of mobile subscribers, Apple is just icing on their cake, they are not desperate at all.

16. Turkish macrumors 6502

You think they want people to know how many phones are at each store so someone would know the best store to hit if they wanted to hold it up/steal an assload of phones?

It's like a bank disclosing how much funds they have in the vault at any given time.

No.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Let's face it, a phone is pretty useless without a contract, unless someone wanted to flog them overseas.

18. Turkish macrumors 6502

Then why all the security?

I'm just saying that there is no way Apple would send a memo to a single AT&T store telling them how many phones they will get.

19. applehero macrumors 6502

at&t knows how many they are getting, at least in the executive levels. Rest assured that the information is not being handed down through the ranks of at&t wireless, but if you think that the executives don't know....they know.

20. schuerman thread starter macrumors newbie

21. ps49556n macrumors regular

Of course senior management knows these details but these people probably total 10-20 people for ATT and Apple combined. At this rank it would be obvious to their superiors who was leaking information which would result in termination. Executive at this level would not compromise high paying jobs just so they can leak some little bit to some website.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I too thought that, then a user here gave me the URL of a page on Apple's site talking about Apple's 5 Flagship stores.