No wake on LAN for Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orestes1984, Sep 12, 2012.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

:confused: This really seems like a massive oversight.... but... I run an Xserve G5 as the back end in my home media setup, doing time machine backups and etc.

The issue is one of power consumption and not leaving a machine up 24/7. I would like to be able to remotely power up and shut down my machine which is possible on a PC and would be possible with a Hackintosh, but I'd rather not go down that path.

Is there an option to boot a Mac via Ethernet?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for network access
    You can also click Schedule on the same screen to set up a time to wake from sleep or boot up.

3. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok... so I tried to access it via remote desktop and the Xserve is completely oblivious to it switched off, I also downloaded a program called Wake On Lan. I have given the Xserve a fixed IP address that doesn't help either.

I would like to be able to start the machine by mouse and not by foot.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wake on network access doesn't boot up a Mac that's not running. It only wakes one in sleep mode. To boot up, use the Schedule. If you need "on demand" access, just leave it running or in sleep mode. It doesn't consume that much power.

About Wake on Demand

6. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I guess this is just an issue with the implementation of Wake On Lan for Macs. I guess I'll just go back to using desktop sharing to wake the machine from sleep.