Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hello there.

I recently upgraded the RAM in my macbook 6.1 (late 2009) from the 2x 1GB DDR 3 1066Mhz ones to a pair of 2GB at the same speed.

I did had a problem with a service battery message but it went away after I did a SMC reset.

Everything is working as perfect as before (but faster thanks to the upgrade) so far, but not the sleep.

It seems that if I close the lid and the system enter sleep it doesn't wake up, no matter what I press, or do.
After a hard restart the system was starting like it had a forced sleep because of low battery.

So I though that maybe this is some sort of incompatibility with the newer RAM and as of that I changed the sleep mode through the terminal to actually do a hibernate (and unlike the default sleep, which saves both data in RAM and HDD, to save only in HDD, which it takes longer, but I didn't care to wait a little more).

This didn't worked, I also tried the other sleep mode (the one that use only RAM to store data during sleep) but no progress.
So I turned it back at the default sleep mode, well now if I sleep the system and hard restart it, the recovery progress is freezing.

No big deal, but to me it seems like a software problem and I will keep a backup from the files and do a fresh system reinstall.

I hope this will fix it, but before that I wanted to ask here if anyone have any idea that will save me from the format.

:)

(Macbook white unibody, model 6.1 late 2009, OSX SL 10.6.8 no other modifications than the RAM)

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
It sounds like you possibly have bad RAM. You can check your RAM with Rember as follows:

- Put Rember.app in your Applications folder.
- Reboot in single-user mode (hold command-s at the chime)
- run:

Code:
/Applications/Rember.app/Contents/Resources/memtest all 5

It'll take a few hours. If you have any failures, reseat both modules and try again. If it still fails, remove one of the two modules, in order to have an idea of either which module or which slot is failing. Move around known good modules in order to narrow down the bad part.

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
This sounds pretty sad because both modules are brand new, anyway I will try that and report back.

(Still... everything else works fine, and I do some heavy graphics work on the system. :mad:)

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
So I run the memtest last night, but everything reported OK.

It doesn't seem hardware related problem, I mean come on we are at 2011 and the RAM is Corsair, it can't be possible an incompatibility flaw. I hope there is just some software corruption somewhere which will go away with the format.

Thanks for the help :)

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
sorry for necromancing the thread, but I have some things to add.

First of all I didn't moved on with the format last time I posted here, I upgraded to Lion where the problem persisted and I was very busy afterwards to format.

Last night I did a format and reinstalled Lion, with the Lion partition.

Well... this didn't fixed it either.

I'm sad, I used to be proud of the fast wake up of my macbook and now I can't even close the lid...

Any idea if I can disable the sleep mode while I close the lid?

Or maybe any idea about the problem itself?

As I said the RAM doesn't show any errors in testing so returning it as faulty, is not an option since it seems to work just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.