General No way to delete a subscribed calendar in iOS 7.1

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WolfSnap, Mar 10, 2014.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

iOS 7.1 introduced a new bug (that I reported to Apple during the beta) that dealt with the inability to delete a subscribed calendar.

It's still there -- and worse than it was during the beta.

Just thought everyone would like to know...

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Subscribed calendars only... Subscribe to a calendar via. iCloud; then try to delete same calendar on your device.

iOS 7 works; 7.1 doesn't offer the ability to delete the calendar.

4. crookadile macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. My subscribed calendar is showing in the OTHER section and there is no option to delete it. :(

5. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

That new "Other" Calendar is a new "feature". They auto-add a regionally appropriate calendar -- which doesn't appear on your Mac -- to your iphone/ipad. I already had a US Holiday calendar, now I have two.

I bitched about that exact issue in a bug report during the beta too, and was ignored.

HOWEVER, the bigger issue is that now NO calendars (that are subscribed) are able to be deleted.

6. crookadile macrumors regular

So that's why I had 2 UK Holiday calendars.
    Actually the one they auto added is not as good as my subscribed one. :mad:
    Guess I'll just have to hide it if it can't be deleted.

7. dcp10 macrumors 6502

I don't use iCloud calendars , but can't you remove them in the calendar app by choosing edit then select the calendar then scroll all the way down and tap delete calendar?

8. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the bug.

There is no delete button.

9. Nermal, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm getting a little off-topic here, but how do you get to the holiday calendar?

Edit: After reading the posts below, it seems that this calendar is not available with the region set to NZ. If I choose for example Australia or Japan then it shows up. I don't know whether this was an oversight, or whether Apple didn't want to have to deal with our province-specific holidays.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems that you don't, it's a "gift" from Apple.

11. dcp10 macrumors 6502

You do not have this option?

[​IMG]

12. flatfoot99 Guest

I deleted my subscribed calendar under settings>mail,contacts,calendar>accounts(top one)

13. mc21 macrumors newbie

I'm having similar issues. I'm subscribed to 2 US Holiday calendars. Oddly enough only have the duplicates on my iphone so I've turned off the new one added by the update until they fix the bug allowing me to remove it.

14. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

No. Not for any of my subscribed calendars, nor the apple generated one. Strange that you do.

15. Eisselmann macrumors newbie

16. crookadile macrumors regular

That option only works for your subscribed calendars. It doesn't work for the one Apple included in the update. You can only hide it.

----------

Me neither. I would love that option so I could get rid of the Apple generated calendar.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

18. odysseus, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

odysseus macrumors member

I'm confused. Once I upgraded my MBP-retina to Mavericks, I found that I had *two* "US Holidays" calendars -- one that I subscribed to, and another that apparently resided "On My Mac". I was able to delete the latter.

However, on my iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1, I have *two* "Us Holidays" calendars, to both of which I am subscribed, and I am unable to delete *either* (there's no delete button).

OK, so now I see what I had to do: Mavericks doesn't include an Apple-generated "US Holidays", correct? So I had to store the one I had manually subscribed to on "On My Mac" (and not on iCloud) so that it wouldn't be synched to my phone. For some reason, even that one couldn't be deleted from my iPhone.

It looks like subscribed calendars that are stored on iCloud are not deletable from one's iPhone; the only solution is to remove it from iCloud on your Mac.

19. crizzly macrumors newbie

crizzly

Update is applying a non-removable subscribed calendar based on your Region Format. There is no delete button when inspecting through the calendar app. Subscribed calendar does not show under accounts in settings. The Holiday calendar option does display under under Fetch New Data settings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------

I found the only way to remove this calendar from displaying is to change your region format. I changed mine to U.S. Virgin Islands. Format seems largely the same but no extra holiday calendar present.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Isn't this a good thing? Who doesn't want to know when public holidays etc are?
    I just wish they would simply add coloured dots to the month view instead of grey. It would be much more useful at a glance!

21. crizzly macrumors newbie

crizzly

For many people it will be a nice addition. I have my own Holiday calendar subscribed through iCloud which I prefer over this Apple supplied one.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's nice, but not so nice not to have a choice about it.

23. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Federal holidays are one thing, but I don't need the religious holidays on my calendar...and adding all that automatically without even asking the user :(

24. SkidMD macrumors newbie

SkidMD

ical subscribed holiday calendar duplicate

The source of my duplicate subscribed holiday calendar seems to come from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5029

(you have to do it on your mac and then tell it to push out to the cloud - which sends it to your devices...)

Yet, even when I deleted my iCloud account from my iPhone 5, the holiday calendar subscription remained. So, it lives on in my phone despite iCloud being removed. Nice touch, but I only need ONE holiday calendar, not two.....

Upshot: deleting your iCloud account won't remove it if you subscribed on your iPhone originally.

25. SkidMD macrumors newbie

SkidMD

Oh, don't bother trying to reset you phone (erase all data). That doesn't do it...darn.