No way to mark an sms message on the iphone 4 as unread?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by masstsnk, Nov 14, 2010.

1. masstsnk macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just received my first ever iphone as an upgrade 2 days ago and am so shocked that you can't mark sms messages as unread. Surely this is a crucial feature that allows you to come back to messages you don't want to reply to straight away but don't want to forget about?

Also, within bookmarks, is it not possible to delete the factory bookmarks and just keep your umported bookmarks at the top? You pretty much can't move them around!

Thanks for all of your help

2. alangrehan, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010

alangrehan macrumors regular

Unfortunately you cannot do this. It bothered me at first but I've actually found they way the messages are kept in chat conversations means I can easily see from the message list which messages I still need to reply to even if I've opened them.

I think it's another case of Apple's way or the highway but the positives in apples messaging app outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

3. masstsnk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess you mean that the way there is only one chat history for each contact and that the most recent conversations are pushed to the top help you to job your memory if you have replied or not?

Yes overall it is a much better messaging app than on Blackberry. Just a shame that a simple 'mark as unread' button like in the Mail app could be so beneficial!

4. tinny the cat macrumors member

Delete factory bookmarks

just slide your finger along the bookmark and a red delete button will appear. or press the edit button on the bottom left of the screen when the bookmarks menu is open, then tap the red circle with a cross and press the delete button

5. masstsnk thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this cannot be done for Apple's 'History' 'Bookmarks Bar' and 'Bookmarks menu' folders. Only bookmarks that I've made...

6. samh macrumors 6502

It may be a little heavy-handed by Apple not to include this feature, but two thoughts.

1. I don't think it's a "crucial" feature - but one that would be helpful for some people.

2. SMS was never intended to be as feature-rich as e-mail. The whole point is to be a simple, light protocol for exchanging short messages quickly.