iPhone No Waze in iOS 12 / Carplay

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by scottct1, Jun 4, 2018.

1. scottct1 macrumors regular

scottct1

After watching todays event, I quickly updated my iPhone to iOS 12 Beta. Then went to my car which has Apple Car Play in it.

To my disappointment WAZE did not show up in CarPlay like I expected. I do have WAZE installed on my phone.

Am I missing something? My car is a 2018.

2. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

might come in another beta

3. mujtaba.mir macrumors 6502a

mujtaba.mir

Waze needs to be updated as well to support CarPlay!

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Exactly. Apple making more apps available for CarPlay, still requires developers to enable functionality on their end.

5. anyjungleinguy macrumors regular

How can you know enough to install a developer beta but not not know enough to realise a feature like that requires the app developers to enable it?

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

This. And even then, probably won't see a iOS 12 compatible app in the App Store until September, when iOS 12 will release.

7. scottct1 thread starter macrumors regular

scottct1

Because the Developer notes did not say anything about Waze not working or requiring an update. :)

8. mujtaba.mir macrumors 6502a

mujtaba.mir

The apps do get updated before the fall release. That is essentially one way for users on beta's to see if it is working before the iOS gets public.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Waze, Google Maps, any third party map will require the developer to update the app to make it work with CarPlay.

10. 0000757 macrumors 68040

They can update to stop crashes but new APIs can’t be launched until the fall.

11. mujtaba.mir macrumors 6502a

mujtaba.mir

I stand corrected in that case.

12. hrMACnstuff macrumors member

i've been running, meaning hearing, waze through my car play unit since January. I get the police reported ahead warnings and all the guidance but have to run Apple Maps without guidance to see a map on Car Play. So in the following configuration, you end up using both. Don't start Apple Maps and you just get the Waze guidance and alerts over Car Play.
    You do have to make some changes in settings though to get this to work. Do so by turning on background app refresh for Waze on your iPhone, location services should be On under privacy, then under location services scroll down to waze and set it to always. Next connect your iPhone to Car Play and open Waze on your iPhone. again, Waze will not display on Car Play. Tap Go Now to your destination in Waze. Waze will speak to you over any Car Play app without closing it. Adjust the Car Play Guidance volume to be louder than the general volume and you're good to go. Will be great to finally get Waze maps on the screen though but this has worked great for me for half a year.

13. ajiuo macrumors 65816

For the same reason they don’t give you a list of all of the apps that don’t support widgets or 3D Touch. Apple is allowing app developers to create navigation apps that support CarPla... The app developer still have to make those apps.

14. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Is there actually any technical reason they couldn't already run on iOS 11 carplay? I assumed Apple was just blocking versions of the map apps with carplay support from the App Store.

15. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

No, shouldnt be. I am curious if it works over Bluetooth or you need an USB connection. Nav apps update the screen at 60 fps, so much more bandwidth.

16. cmaier macrumors G5

CarPlay doesn’t just mirror the iPhone screen. It’s drawn on the car screen by the app. It requires the app to be updated to support it.

17. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Nothing but connectio
    n negotiation works over Bluetooth, wireless CarPlay is over wifi

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

They said it would "support" third party map apps...not that they would be available day one.

I also use Waze when traveling and utilizing car play. I always vent mount my phone anyway, so it is nice to see the map and then hear it through CarPlay. Then if I get a call or text message, CarPlay automatically switches over to those apps. I was initially surprised that CarPlay let me swap between different apps on the phone as well as using the CarPlay screen.

19. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

I’m sure looking forward to it going live. I currently use an old galaxy 5s over car wi-if to get Waze on big screen. Sure will be glad to be rid of it

20. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

If you can contact the Waze developer and ask if you can have the beta version of the app, you could make it work in your car.
    As already stated, just having a new version of iOS, doesn't change your latest version of Waze.

21. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

Waze is a third parity app. Why would it be included in the notes?

22. seinman macrumors 6502

I am a Waze beta tester. I don't have a CarPlay-compatible vehicle, but I'll come back and update here if and when they mention it in the beta release notes.

23. thenobody macrumors member

As a waze beta tester you are not allowed to share beta release notes or discuss the betas outside of the beta groups and centercode. Advise keeping that to yourself. It will find its way out in other ways

24. seinman macrumors 6502

‍I was trying to post a shrugging man emoji here, I guess MacRumors doesn't support them. (facepalm emoji)

25. Hyuga macrumors regular

Every developer should know that CarPlay, like Apple Watch (was) is different “entity”, it doesn’t work out of the box with existing apps. What you have right now at your phone are xcode 9.x apps, and it doesn’t support 3rd party CarPlay framework.

Reminder, sometimes icons or features what Apple uses during keynote are placeholders/concept, it doesn’t mean that developer has actually started any development to make it work yet.

I tried to write this simple as possible..