No white iPhone 4 so what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edtorious, Jul 23, 2010.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

My wife really wanted the white iPhone 4 but since now it's delayed, she's thinking of upgrading from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS instead. But I noticed that Apple and AT&T is only selling black 8GB iPhone 3GS? So there is no white and at least white 16GB iPhone 3GS?

So if she buys iPhone 3GS and then later the white iPhone 4 comes out, can she upgrade again? Will she be eligible for the $299 price of 32 GB iPhone 4 or will she have to pay more and will they extend her contract again too? Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

3. JackSpearo macrumors regular

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Yep, you can have black... or black.

Even the free cases are all black.

This sucks.

5. DJUK macrumors member

DJUK

You beat me to it! haha

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

She really would only upgrade to a 3GS and not a 4 because she can't get white? Some people are so ridiculous.

7. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

thanks but try convincing and arguing with my wife :rolleyes::p she won't budge. :D

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

No she can't buy the 3GS at a subsidized price and then three months later upgrade to the 4 at another subsidized price. Just buy a black one and use it. Once the white comes out, sell the black one and go buy a white one. Easy.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If she buys a 3GS, she won't be eligible for the upgrade price again until she would normally be eligible for an upgrade (that varies, depending on how much you spend with AT&T... I upgrade yearly... some people are eligible after 18 months, some have to wait the full 2 years).

If she is buying 3GS just for a color, that makes no sense. Buy a black one and slap a white case on it.

If she's worried about other issues (antenna/proximity sensor, etc), then the 3GS might be for her.

iOS4 runs fine on the 3GS. I'm running it now, in fact.

Personally, I'd try the ip4 first. If she hates it, she can sell it on craigslist and buy a 3GS until something new comes along.

Or, she can hold out with the ip4 and wait for ip5, sell it, and buy another.

So many possibilities.

10. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

i'll argue with her all day. it's like my son's kindergarten teacher once said:

"You get what you get, and you don't get upset"

11. GTghost macrumors regular

Tell her to get the black iphone 4 with the white bumper, its looks clean and prestige.

12. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

13. jackblack73 macrumors newbie

Yep. She'll probably get a good price for it on eBay too. Just use a case so it stays in good shape.

14. xtend macrumors regular

This

15. yankeex777 macrumors member

Question:

What is the availability on the black iPhone 4's. You could put me in the camp that was just gonna sit patiently and wait for the white model. I'm certainly not waiting till the end of the year. Can you just walk into an ATT store/apple store and grab a black one or are they still on crazy back order?

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

You can't get white bumpers. Apple is only making black ones available for the free case program, and every Apple store I've called is telling me the colored ones have been discontinued.

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Apple is clearing out the lists because they have become so long that, for the most part, if you walk into an Apple store, not only can you not buy one immediately, but the lists are closed so you can't buy one from them period. This is stupid, sales-wise.

18. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

So if we buy the black iPhone 4 now and replace it with white iPhone 4 later when it's available, how much will it be? do we pay $299 still for the white iPhone 4? :confused: sorry for my ignorance and confusion about this upgrade and subsidized pricing, don't know much about how it works. :eek:

19. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

16GB or 32GB, and any color, as long as it's black. Don't forget, there's also the 8GB iPhone 3GS!

20. Oversoul macrumors member

Like others have already said, if your wife uses her upgrade now to purchase a 3GS (it'll be 8GB black), she will not be eligible for the subsidized price again for another 18 months. If she buys a white iPhone 4 within 18 months of her upgrade (to the 3GS), she will be paying the early upgrade price of $399/$499 and still have to commit to a new 2 year contract.

If your wife is looking for a 3GS to tide her over until the white iPhone 4 comes out, I'd suggest you look to eBay or Craigslist. With all the people upgrading to the iPhone 4, you'll find no shortage of used 3GSs on the secondary market. You can expect to pay $200-300, but you will not lose your upgrade eligibility on a short-term device, and you will not be forced to sign a new contract in the meantime. When you finally buy the white, you can resell the 3GS (albeit at some loss).

21. bababoey14 macrumors regular

How old is your wife??? It's only a color...get over it

22. Oversoul macrumors member

$499.

You would've already used up your upgrade pricing on the black iPhone 4. If you upgrade again (early, within 18 months) to the white iPhone 4, you'll be subject to the early upgrade pricing of $399 (16GB) or $499 (32GB).

23. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

thanks for the info. Well I guess I will try to convince her to get black iPhone 4. wish me luck guys :rolleyes::p

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Tell her to get black one now and get white one later? Problem solved.