No widescreen iPod this year?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Prof., Aug 25, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I overheard at the Apple Store from a group of customers that Apple WILL NOT release a widescreen iPod. Apparently, from what I heard, Apple does not want to take away sales from their iPhone by making a WS video iPod. Doing so, Apple believes, will make people buy the $250-$350 WS iPod and not buy the iPhone, which costs $500 to $600, which in turn would draw down sales of the iPhone.

Instead of releasing a widescreen iPod, Apple plans to release a slimmer version of the current iPod w/ video with a hard drive capacity of 80GB and 100GB. However, this is speculation and might not be true (I hope it's not cause I REALLY want a widescreen iPod).

Hope for the best.

Prof. :apple:

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i can't buy a iPhone....i would buy the new widescreen ipod however.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Overheard at the Apple Store....
    from a group of customers....
    bwahhhhhh.....
    were they in or near an elevator?

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Then it must be true :p

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Don't take it to heart Prof., i've heard employees talk out their asses about Apple stuff :rolleyes:

6. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well I heard from Rumors sites that Apple is buying Nintendo, releasing a 12'' MacBook Pro and switching to Intel chips.....oh wait that happened.
    ;)

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well were these nice people inside an elevator? cause if not..its fake

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Makes sense but A LOT of people, (me included), aren't buying iphones because AT&T is the only server.

10. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

MAN that'd be awesome!

11. Nemisis macrumors member

Well Prof...I hope you're wrong. I really want that widescreen iPod touch.

Besides, would there really be this much rumors and so-called "sightings" of a widescreen iPod if it wasn't true? Come on now!

12. godslabrat macrumors 6502

I don't predict I'll be watching many movies on this (mostly TV shows and cartoons) so I'd be in the minority that wouldn't be upset if the new iPod were still 4:3. I also am not gung-ho for a touch screen, since I have significant reservations about it being better than the current design.

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

that really would rock

14. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Remember, I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me. I'm just relaying what I heard.

Prof. :apple:

15. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm going to start a new trademark.

Audio clips or it was never mentioned.™

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

this thread is depressing;):(

17. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone is a fairly poor video iPod due to the limited storage and price. People who want a 50GB+ video iPod aren't going to buy an iPhone and take on two years of monthly phone charges unless they also want/need the phone.

So I don't see much cannibalizing of sales from between the two, aside from gadget freaks who have to have the newest thing. And they've already bought an iPhone :)

My guess is that there will be a WS video iPod soon, perhaps a thin 32GB flash-based model and a 80+ GB hard drive based (thicker) model.

Greg

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yeah it would. It would be cool if Apple bought Nintendo, and then finally get an Apple gaming console...again, but this time, it would hopefully take off.

19. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

My guess is that the full-screen video iPod will use either 80 or 120 GB hard drive storage only. Reason is simple: video files (even with H.264 compression) uses a LOT of storage space, so if you want multiple movies on your iPod the only way to storage them is to go the hard drive route.

20. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but can Apple resist the chance to have the thinnest wide screen video player on the market? That's why I think there may be a flash based on coming too.

How many hours of video will 25 GB give you (leaving 7GB for firmware and music)?

Greg

21. ds252 macrumors regular

I think mojority of people will use the ipod for music first and video second, so with that being said 25GB of music is decent for most people but 7GB of video is not so much, probably going to have a HDD plus 32GB flash memory is pretty pricey

22. CaptainWOW macrumors member

The Pippin was awesome. I would love to have one to add to my collection of old Apple crap. That and a PowerCD. And a Quicktake.

I actually did have a Quicktake once but that was a long time ago before I actually knew what it was.

As for the widescreen iPod, I hope one comes out soon. It would make me really happy. My 4th Gen. iPod is getting a little long in the tooth.