iPhone No WIFI Calling on iPhone 5 (Tmobile)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by OxOOCOFFEE, Sep 17, 2014.

1. OxOOCOFFEE macrumors newbie

OxOOCOFFEE

After upgrading to IOS 8 I noticed that expected WIFI calling is not enabled on both of my iPhone 5 phones. Calling Tmobile tech support I was told that this this version WILL NOT HAVE Wifi calling and I was told to upgrade phone as one of the options. Hmmm

I have Android phone about 5 years ago and I had WIFI calling and I know iPhone 5 is much more powerful device hen my old Samsung.

Does anyone remember Apple saying during event that this will be the case?

Looks some older beta had WIFI calling enabled. Bad Bad Apple/TMobile

:mad:

2. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Did you try turning on WiFi calling under Settings/Phone/Wi-Fi Calls?

3. milhouse994 macrumors regular

Looks like this isn't available on iPhone 5.

I've gone into the phone settings and don't have an option for wifi calling, however my girlfriend who has a 5S does...

Annoying, oh well just have to wait a few weeks until I get my 6!

4. podblack macrumors newbie

As of right now, iPhone 5 A1428 with serial number ending in FH19 and T-Mobile US Carrier Update 17.1 running iOS 8 build 12A365 does not support Wi-Fi calling.

Sorry for the zombie post but it's a big deal to a lot of people. Getting the word out there. iPhone 5 might support it in hardware, but at the OS level, it is not enabled.

5. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

from another thread:

only the Iphone 5c/5s/6/6+ has Wi-Fi calling enabled. instructions to enable are somewhere in the t-mobile forums

6. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

its because iPhone 5 is not sold by t-mobile only the 5c and up so they want you to upgrade

BS!

7. podblack macrumors newbie

The iPhone 5 was sold by T-Mobile, but isn't anymore. The promises of Wi-Fi calling were originally that it would be available to all iOS 8 users pending carrier support.

I can understand freezing out the 4s but not the 5.

8. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

considering the iPhone 5c and 5 are the same exact phone...no excuse

9. podblack macrumors newbie

Agreed. I live in a strange black hole of service (for all providers) and for the rare phone call I make, I would like to have a clear signal path.

10. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Yet another zombie post but I was told the exact same thing by customer support and the rep said it directly that is was a means to get existing owners of the iPhone 5 to upgrade for a feature that's been on many smartphones before the T-Mobile iPhone 5 ever was even announced.

What a crock of ^€}<

I've been with this carrier for fifteen years!!! This is the first time I've ever had been thrown such a lousy means to sell a new phone and my chances of getting an iPhone 6 are slim to none since I had no intention of buying one right away, I never pre-ordered.

I wanted a new iPhone, not a forced method of getting into buying a new smartphone, especially one that I would most likely hate. The only ones I would consider are the HTC M8 but such a lousy camera or the Galaxy S5 which is "old" in smartphone standards.

The last card is the LG G3. It looks amazing in person but I really don't want to go back to another Android device.

Time to look for a used 5S online.

11. Bodysrufer macrumors newbie

iPhone 5

It's funny that wifi calling doesn't work with my iPhone 5. They say it will work with the AppleWatch when it comes out and it works with my AppleDecoder ring right now.

12. ChittagongBoy macrumors member

Spoke to a Tmob rep over chat, and she confirmed that the 5 supports Wifi calling , no idea whether she knew what she was talking about or just BS to finish the convo.

13. daghstdrummer, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

daghstdrummer macrumors member

I bought my Iphone 5 through t-mobile.... I think they'll do a carrier update to include the iphone 5 if enough people call and complain about it.

14. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

According to my cousin who works for T-Mobile NO the iPhone 5 does NOT support Wifi Calling. Wifi Calling works on the iPhone 5C and up. The sooner people accept that the better. It sucks it really does.