No Wifi = Extremely cooler system?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ayeying, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I noticed that without Airport being on, my system is EXTREMELY cooler (up to 10 deg C on all areas). I don't use wifi at work since its a drain on battery and our wifi isn't exactly the fastest in the world.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I haven't necessarily noticed it, since I use Wifi almost every where (home, school, out-and-about). But, I do know that the location of the card gets VERY hot after extended use. Maybe not having it on would be a big help. I'll have to try this sometime.

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I figured the location of the wifi and surrounding areas would get hot/warm but not having it on had a drastic impact on my temperatures for CPU/GPU and bottom enclosure. I expected slightly cooler without the airport generating heat but nothing like this major.. :confused:

4. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

It's a pity that most often if Ethernet is an option, so is using power adapter. Otherwise it would really help with battery life.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is true, even with the PowerBooks. Those chips for WiFi throw off a lot of heat.

TEG

6. bytodaystandrds macrumors member

While I'm no expert,
    I think that this temp difference could be a result of the CPU not having to execute the Airport kernel extensions... wireless security encryptions and various algorithms involved in the operation of wifi seems to take a considerable % of CPU cycles..

I happen to own one of the last revision of iBookG4s 1.33 that are plagued with a fatally bad designed Airport card-to-logic board connector and I had to completely remove the card...

Well, all I can say is that the G4 runs several degrees cooler and it takes more to reach a system slowdown now...

my 2cents...