No wifi for you: Verizon might end up killing wifi

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by fdmendez, Dec 2, 2007.

1. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Except I'll never be opening my internal LAN to the outside world, so I'm always going to want a network for my devices to share internally. Also, 802.11n/gigabit make transferring large files between my computers a lot more practical than over consumer Internet access. I think we have a ways to go until broadband, especially wireless, is fast enough to replace conventional networking.

But for consumers with one computer and especially with minimal access to cable/DSL/fiber, it could be good option. That or having a wireless Verizon modem hooked up to your home network router for your Internet connection.

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Uhhh, if Verizon comes out with this and it is as reliable as their cellphone service, then I can tell you it will SUCK!

There is a Verizon tower a few blocks from my house and I don't get that great of service. In one part of my house, I have 3/4 bars in another part I have 0/4 bars.

Verizon SUCKS!!! When my contract is up, I am switching to AT&T.:mad:

3. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

How many bits per second is "incredibly fast"? Long on hype, short on details...

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Very true.. Verizon just lost all there customers by in-acting this garage..

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Except that article is mostly speculation...and Verizon does not have the resources to run that much data through their networks. Not only that, but Verizon isn't being that open, at least not for a while. So the entire thing is an academic debate right now.

Besides, if Verizon did try this, Sprint would just up it's WIMAX commitment, AT&T would start blanketting the country with 3G, and T-Mobile would...still sit there. ;-)

And Comcast, Time Warner, et al would probably fight tooth and nail on that one.

Not to mention, Verizon Wireless is NOT wholely owned by Verizon, but is partially owned by Vodafone. So unless Verizon wants to buy out Voda for full control and profits they are cutting themselves out of money if they push more people onto the cell network.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Okay, so Verizon is switching to the 4G GSM network in a few years, so what does this mean? What about CDMA regional providers that use the Verizon network when roaming? It's a pitty, really, as I prefer the CDMA network much more to GSM.

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

probably the same thing that happened to the old TDMA providers; offer the service until it is no longer economically useful to run concurrent signals and then force upgrades.