Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Computerwiz160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Just recently got a Macbook pro 2011 (wanted the ports) and put in a new SSD, enabled TRIM and (stupidly) didn't backup. Ended up restarting and was saying no Wfi Hardware detected, does anyone know a fix for this?

Yes I have reset the SMC and NVRAM

EDIT: Did a reinstall of macOS sierra, everything is working fine. REALLY weird bug I guess?

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Presuming that WiFi was working when you got the MBP, it should be easy and free to check the cable connecting the AirPort/Bluetooth to the logic board. This would be more likely a problem if you worked with the slot which the optical drive uses. As noted, WiFi and Bluetooth are on the same board. Is Bluetooth also not working?

Computerwiz160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Presuming that WiFi was working when you got the MBP, it should be easy and free to check the cable connecting the AirPort/Bluetooth to the logic board. This would be more likely a problem if you worked with the slot which the optical drive uses. As noted, WiFi and Bluetooth are on the same board. Is Bluetooth also not working?
It's weird, the bluetooth and Webcam work perfectly, so I know it's not the cable or card. I think I'm just going to reinstall macOS and see if that fixes it.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If bluetooth is working, I'd run diagnostics and see what it says. If diagnostics says WiFi is OK, I would agree and try a reinstall, if it says WiFi is not working, it could be that one of the WiFi chips on the board has gone bad. BTW, I seem to recall that people with bad WiFi boards seem to have issues getting a replacement to work - something to research if you have to go down that route.

Computerwiz160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
If bluetooth is working, I'd run diagnostics and see what it says. If diagnostics says WiFi is OK, I would agree and try a reinstall, if it says WiFi is not working, it could be that one of the WiFi chips on the board has gone bad. BTW, I seem to recall that people with bad WiFi boards seem to have issues getting a replacement to work - something to research if you have to go down that route.
Did the diagnostic and it said WiFi is okay, but the icon says "no hardware detected", really odd. I'm going to do a reinstall and update back to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.