No wifi icon in watch app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by winmecd, Sep 24, 2015.

1. winmecd macrumors newbie

Hi

Is there ment to be a wifi calls icon in Apple Watch app?
    If so where abouts

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The cloud icon is the Wifi connected indicator. When it is connected over blue tooth you see an icon that looks like your phone.

[​IMG]

3. winmecd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for reply I have the cloud icon but still can't do wifi calls
    Does call on other devices have to be on and not near by

Thanks winmecd
    image.png

4. Seth Matthews macrumors member

Seth Matthews

WiFi calling has to be on, and you to enable the Watch inside. Weird thing is, I have tried everything and I can't get my watch to show up. I have wifi calling enabled, and calls near by enabled, but my watch won't show in the list, and there is no setting to enable in the watch app either as there should be.

5. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Are you talking about WiFi calling, or FaceTime Audio calls?

If WiFi calling, then there's nothing to choose. It's all driven from the phone and completely seamless on the watch. If the phone says WiFiCall, like it does in your screen shot, then any call you place on the watch will be a WiFi call, just like any call on the phone would be.

If you're asking about FaceTime Audio calls, just go into the phone app on the watch, find the contact you want to call, and press the call icon (looks like a phone handset). You'll then be presented with a list of numbers for that contact, one of with will be "FACETIME AUDIO". The same happens if you choose someone from your friends circle.

6. parseckadet, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Remember that the watch isn't really doing the calling, the phone is. If you're looking to leave the phone at home, and make a call from your watch while one a different WiFi network I don't think that's going to work.

Edit: I stand corrected. I just tried putting my phone in airplane mode. Once that cloud icon appeared on my watch I tried placing a call and was able to. I think the key is turning on "Calls on Other Devices". I was able to place the call, even without my watch being listed there.

7. winmecd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks is it possible to have iPhone switched off and still make
    A wifi call from watch
    Everything seems to be set right but can't do wifi calls from watch

Thanks winmecd

8. Seth Matthews macrumors member

Seth Matthews

That's the problem. In that "Calls on other devices" list, my Apple Watch is missing. My iMac, Macbook, and iPad all show up, but not my watch. I have restored both the phone and watch as new, and it still won't show up. i don't know what else to try.

9. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Yeah, I saw that, which is why I said...
    In my list I only see my iPad. Yet I am able to make calls from my watch, even with the phone in airplane mode.
    Seems to be working for me. But I was just checking out the Apple support document here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032
    The section describing how to place calls from other devices says that it's T-Mobile only (and I'm assuming only in the US). That may be your issue, since your screen shot shows EE.

10. winmecd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for reply you might be right about not being able to do it on EE

Thanks winmecd

11. Seth Matthews macrumors member

Seth Matthews

I understand now, but when I put my phone in airplane mode and try to call from my watch it is immediate call failed. I give up.

12. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

You're on T-Mobile US?

13. TheACN macrumors newbie

14. Seth Matthews macrumors member

Seth Matthews

Ah, makes since now. I am on AT&T. I wonder when we will get the ability?