No WIFI: iphone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dubina, May 21, 2012.

1. dubina macrumors member

re an Iphone 4S

Under settings, I see "Airport Mode", but no "WIFI". My wife is taking the phone to Russia and Azerbaijan, and I don't know what will come of that in terms of her 3 or 4 G coverage and / or WIFI.

Anybody have any sense of that?

I would like to get her WIFI back, but I don't know when it went away or why.

I have looked at what seem to be related problems, but I haven't seen answers that solved the problems.

What about that?

Thanks,

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What you think is "Airport mode" is actually Airplane Mode. When it's switched to on, that disables all of the antennae hardware for cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Whether her phone has cellular service or not in Russia/Azerbaijan is dependent on who the carrier is and whether they offer international data roaming. If she doesn't want to pay international rates for data, she needs to go to Settings->General->Network and switch Data Roaming to Off.

If you don't see Wi-Fi under Settings, it could be that the chip isn't being seen by the iPhone. First go to Settings->General->About and see if there is a Wi-Fi address, it should appear as a hexadecimal string separated by colons. If there is no address, try restarting the iPhone (power it off, turn it back on). If you still don't see Wi-Fi, see if you can update or restore the iPhone software. Backup your wife's data before restoring, you may end up having to set it up as a new device if only temporarily to see if something that was loaded on the iPhone caused the chip to not be seen. If you still can't get Wi-Fi to work after a restore, consider visiting a local Apple Store if you have one in the area.