No Wifi on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ComplexTofu, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ComplexTofu macrumors newbie

I know this is a recurring problem and there are many other threads out there about this, but I couldn't find any that match my situation.

I recently installed Windows XP on my MacBook (2010 model, click here for specs) running OS 10.6.8 without a problem. I installed the drivers from the OS X install disc that came with my computer.

After a while I tried connecting to our wireless connection, but after numerous attempts and even trying to manually set up the network it wouldn't connect. My best guess would be the drivers, and I think it might be to do with the fact that the OS disk I installed the drivers off was 10.6.4.

I'm not sure what it is but any help would be appreciated, thanks ;D

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It may be that you need to update Windows XP to recognize WPA2 encryption. Are you running Service Pack 3? If not, that's the best way to get WPA2 support for XP. If you are, what exactly happens when you try to connect?

3. ComplexTofu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, this might be it, I'm running SP2 and we use WPA2. I'll try updating to see if it works. Oh, and when I try to connect it says something like "Unable to connect, wireless signal may be out of range."

Thanks.