NO Windows XP support for new Macbook Pro. Can you make it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crabb11, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Crabb11 macrumors newbie

I just tried installing XP on my new macbook pro 15. But I found out according to the apple site that they don't support it. are there drivers for this?

I really want XP because it won't cost me anything, and I know it more than 7 and vista.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Should run fine in a VM at least (does for 2010 MBAs but not nice in Boot Camp).

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I would also recommend running in a VM (Parallels, VMWare, Virtualbox, etc) if you NEED XP.

But you should really consider getting Windows 7. The OS has improved a lot since XP. I use XP at work and Windows 7/Server 2008R2 and Mac OS X at home, and I have to say that 7 is way better than XP... almost as reliable as OS X. Some software doesn't support XP anymore (for example, IE9 since XP is in the "Extended Support" phase).

XP will be 10 years old this October... same age as OS X 10.1 Puma.

4. boontech macrumors newbie

I have XP running in parallels, i have it as it works with all the programs i need and it tends to be the only OS that works with everything. Having to use non main stream software they dont tend to keep up with the newest versions of Windows.

When i installed it with the relevant programs i needed i copies the parallels file so when XP gets a virus i just delete the versions im using and copy over a new one.

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd also recommend running Windows inside of a virtual machine using software such as VMware Fusion (free trial, $79.99 after that) or Oracle VM VirtualBox (which is free).

This method will provide you with access to the Windows software that you need while being able to multi-task between both Mac OS X and Windows.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Just buy Windows 7 instead of a VM. TONS faster, you get IE9 (As fast as Chrome), looks better, everything is better.

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Not sure if it helps, but there is a new BootCamp update on SoftwareUpdate (MacOS side) dated 2011-03-17 19:52:07 for 10.6 and 'MacBookPro8,1','MacBookPro8,2','MacBookPro8,3','MacBookPro8,4' which are the Early 2011 13" 15" & 17"

"MacBookPro 8,4" is a....... I can't find this reference? :eek: Anybody know?