No wireless at home: iPhone + MacBook ad-hoc sharing?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rayuen, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rayuen macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a friend who doesn't have a internet connection at home. (CRAZY right :eek:)

She wants to be able to share her Word docs back and forth with her MacBook at home without going to an Internet café. The file-sharing iPhone apps I am familiar with (TextGuru, Air Sharing, Dropbox) require the laptop and the phone to be on the same wireless connection, so that doesn't help.

MY QUESTION: Is there a way to get the phone and the laptop to communicate directly? :confused:

I looked into Bluetooth but it looks like that's just for headsets.* I know you can create a wireless network with your laptop, but that requires the laptop to be wired and no Internet connection in this home.

*this gets me wondering....WHY doesn't this phone have Bluetooth data sharing???:mad:

2. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Just set up a network with the MAC. You can even share the internet connection. Had to stay for one month in a hotel with only cable internet. Worked like a charm. PM me if you have any questions.