No Xcode on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samk8000, Dec 29, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I got my new MBP and wanted to try out Xcode but I can't find it. Where is it? Or do I now have to pay for it from apple.

2. crypticlineage macrumors regular

You can sign up for a developer account (free) and download the X code. I did this a few months ago and it was totally free then. I don't think there is a price tag on it.

3. bniu macrumors 6502a

the only time you pay is to actually submit it for distribution. For someone just starting out, just download the SDK and develop some apps with just the simulator and when you're ready to distribute, buy a membership. This way you get maximum time to utilize your paid account.

4. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

Can you send me a link to make the account, i can only find the $99 one

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

6. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

It should be on the OS disk, or the Applications disk that came with your computer. I can't remember which. (Try Applications first)

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Typically, the XCode installer is on one of the system install DVD you got with the MBP. It is not part of the normal system install but in an Optional Installs directory. You can install that and then use Software Update to bring it up to the latest version. You can do all that without signing up for a developer account, free or otherwise.

Sooner or later Apple will release XCode 4 to the public. At that point you may need a developer account to get it. Software Update will likely not upgrade you from XCode 3 to 4.

8. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Don't worry about XCode on the discs, they are always going to be way out of date. Just register from that link I gave you and you'll see a download page.

9. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000