NO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idunn, Oct 27, 2016.

1. idunn macrumors 6502

As of this Thursday, October 27, 2016 Apple needs to seriously rethink their direction, and rediscover what made Macintosh great.

The list of possibilities is long. I'd begin with no MagSafe and a lack of necessary ports on what is ostensibly a 'pro' line of notebooks. Not to mention the apparent lack of all respect for professionals in no mention of the Mac Pro and its future.

ETC.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Ok...I think we can begin the apple is doomed rhetoric...and for the first time in my entire life, I will actually listen to the argument of people saying that apple is moving in the wrong direction. This is insane. Wtf did I just watch

3. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

The price though. Apple demands a premium price and I get that, but wow. I'm not cheap, either - but even I am struggling with this. No SD card and standard USB is crazy too. Just more accessories to cough up for and carry around.

4. spacebro macrumors 6502

This sucks. When 16gb ram becomes unbearable on my 2015 rmbp I'm getting one of those xeon thinkpads with 64 or 128gb ram and raid0 pci ssds. I'll miss my magic trackpad 2.

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

6. huckg macrumors member

That requires competence and innovation.

7. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors regular

Agreed. Beyond disappointed. No 4k, no 32gb, no longer battery life, no pencil support, low end graphics, no HDMI/SD/magsafe, and far more expensive.

OH BUT ITS THINNER AND HAS A COOL GLOWING BAR!

8. idunn thread starter macrumors 6502

The Touch Bar is the camel's nose under the tent. Essentially the Watch OS, it is the convergence of OSX and iOS. With in hardware and software the former Macintosh now some Mac/iPad hybrid.

Next—as so many will doubtless be complaining about an inability to get anything seriously done, and lack of touchscreen real estate—they'll likely see fit to downsize the already compromised keyboard. The iPad does without one, largely. And most professionals have long since moved on.

9. idunn, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

idunn thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that a good deal of the current displeasure directed at Apple is not technical in nature.

Not that they have not blithely eliminated perfectly useful ports like MagSafe, nor a host of other technical reasons their customers may have, including perceived value for price, etc.

But my sense is a good deal of this angst stems from Apple's perceived attitude and lack of respect for their customers. Or the feeling, to put it bluntly, that their only criteria is profit and the consumer be damned; that their patrons are largely a bunch of idiotic morons, posers who will continue to buy whatever over-priced bilge Apple promotes—just as long as any status remains in that.

Moreover—especially for those who really do care, and need good sound computers—that this insouciance of Apple's will ultimately kill the golden goose. No company is immune to market forces, and for all its foibles at times many customers would sorely miss Apple were it fold. Most especially the best aspects of technology Apple has allowed over the years. All the more as there presently exist no good alternatives, most of all in the OS.

Speaking of which, many may not agree, yet my feeling that OSX has suffered an ongoing and steady decline since the last of the cats, or Mountain Lion (10.8.5). Granted there have been useful innovations since then. But if some of this is subjective, my feeling the look and feel of it does not at all match the best of what it once was. In example iTunes, which was never perfect, but 'improvements' since then have made it a real mess. Too, where occasional new versions of OSX were never without certain problems, overall looked forward to and welcome. Versus now cringing at the thought of what may transpire with annual releases, and all customers the guinea pigs.

There are fanboys who will dismiss all of this out of hand and term me a luddite, and worse. Fine, and myself happy with the appellation to the extent it means someone happy with what works and only welcoming change when it largely represents positive advancement. As a group Apple's customers have different aspirations and needs, obviously. So I do not dismiss those who disagree over technical aspects they favor or not, even as others and myself may not. Apple then does best have the responsibility in deciding direction, and in example which port or feature need stay or go.

But it does Apple no good or its larger base of loyal customers to be unduly influenced by rapid fanboys who will make vapid excuses for every mistake it makes, no matter how egregious, and all new simply because it is—and worse back that up by happily purchasing ill-conceived products, simply because an Apple logo. In what they foment they ultimately get what they deserve—but unhappily we rest along for the ride.

Again, much of this my personal view. If the feeling that Thursday, October 27, 2016 for many goes far beyond whatever interest they may or not have in the MacBook Pro. For one, that many professionals loyal to and relying on the Macintosh ecosystem could perhaps only draw the conclusion that in its silence that date on all else Mac, that Apple has not factored them and their needs into its future. With, as previously mentioned, this notable and of merit due the direction it implies for Apple: from a company which once excelled at splendid personal computers—the Mac Pro its flagship—to what, a fashion accessory outfit favored for texting?

For good or ill, Apple seems to have come to a fundamental crossroads in its future. Some of us fear it has already chosen the wrong path, if not yet too late to change course. This not at all to deny innovation and evolution, but to consider to what ends. For it seems they have forsaken some of the key principles that made them great—not to mention many an aggrieved once loyal customer.

Little of this need concern a company focused on chasing today's fads towards fleeting profit; and everything if one intent on being many years to come those highly respected for what they've become—and more, allowed as well their customers in highest purpose and fulfillment.