Nobody wanted a big iPhone......yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

The biggest iPhone is now pushed back to November and still going....lol

2. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

That was expected. A lot of people said they'll get the iPhone 6 Plus.

3. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Like anything 'new new', production for the 6+ may have been less than the 6. And here we are. :)

4. G-Ziss macrumors regular

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

Kind of pissed that I woke up at 3am to preorder the 4.7 and it is still showing Sept 19 delivery 7 hours later!

Is it possible that apple underestimated the 5.5 and made fewer than the 4.7?

6. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Part of the allure is marketing, certainly affected some of my family members.

By calling it the iPhone 6 "Plus", and only charging $100 more, it drives many people to buy it instead of the normal iPhone 6 because "it must be substantially better", even though (I suspect) some may regret the size, coming from 3.5-4" handsets.

Being realistic, you're paying for the screen, a little larger battery, and OIS -- not like one runs an A7 and one an A8, or one is made of plastic, etc.

That said, 6 Plus 64GB on the way for me, I like larger phones, but even I was taken back by the height of the phone compared to even the Note 3, LG G3, etc.

7. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I ordered the 4.7" because I've always felt the sweet spot, for ME anyway, was 4.5". But anyone who didn't think a 5.5" iPhone wasn't going to be in huge demand was simply delusional. While there are those who don't want a phone bigger than 4", or even desire to go back to 3.5", they are in such a small minority that after the 5S and 5C are retired that will likely be it for the under 4.5" iPhone.

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Supposedly they'd had manufacturing issues that were leading some rumor mongers to speculate that the 5.5 wouldn't be ready in September at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still trying to churn out the main production line of 6+ models.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I would guess that they made less of the 5.5 thinking that it might not be as popular. Also, it could be that many that are switching from Android phones and are used to to big screens all wanted the Plus. The fact that the delivery date on the Plus was pushed to October before the site even went up by people ordering from the app is pretty telling.