Nock-off Photoshops and Illustrator?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Brainless24, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brainless24 macrumors member

Anyone know of any free SAFE and ones that wont slow down my computer more than photoshop and illustrator? Anyone know any knockoffs? :eek:

2. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Pixelmator is much closer to free, and a very nice app. The GIMP is free.
    Whether they're close enough to Photoshop for you depends on your needs.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Pixelmator & Gimp are a suitable replacement for Photoshop. iDraw is a suitable replacement for Illustrator.

Remember they are not exact replacements though they do a good to great job.

4. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

No CMYK support. That's a pretty big difference, rendering it useless for any print work, requiring a workaround conversion in another application. Also, all non-vector exports are at 72dpi.

Both of which are a great shame, given that the feature set looks like it could give Illustrator a run for its money in my workflow, at least.

Cheers

Jim

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yeah I realize the drawbacks to iDraw, but the OP wanted something that was free. iDraw is closest to free and even it will cost some. I know nothing free will replace Illustrator. Anything close is going to cost you about the same as Illustrator. I also have no idea if OP was using it for print work, they never stated. Was just taking a shot. Op left it wide open.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mod Note: I consider a knock off to be a pirated version. No discussion of piracy is allowed in any form. I appreciate that members other than the OP discussed alternatives but the title and initial post are clearly not asking for those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.