Nocyfresh 2.0 removes nocyfresh!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doboy, Dec 5, 2009.

1. doboy macrumors 68000

Saw the nocyfresh 2.0 update tonight and it claimed that nocyfresh was dangerous. What that about? Any idea why it's dangerous?

2. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I just saw this too. I'm not sure what it's all about though. If it really is a problem then I'll remove it, but it was nice while it lasted.

Anyone else know what's going on?

Update, All I could find was a couple of posts saying the update made one user's phone unresponsive for a while. It eventually started working but this sounds bad to me. I didn't upgrade and decided to delete the package manually.

Here's the link to what I read: modmyi forum nocyfresh 2.0

3. ckong macrumors regular

Holy Cats! People have posted in the thread that their iPhones have locked up after applying the 2.0 "update" (at least for a while).

The Author just posted a message to that thread. The NoCyfresh 2.0 update is not by him. He's trying to get it worked out.

nathulal says there's no malicious code his NoCyfresh 1.x and it's open sourced on Google Code here.

I'm definitely waiting on this one...

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

hmmm

I removed it for now till I read more about it! Iphone crashes are scary! :(

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Seems the NoCyFresh toggle actually has to replace Cydia with a modified version to make it possible not to refresh every time you open it. I guess the people at ModMyI, when they discovered this, decided that it was dangerous and created a package to uninstall NoCyFresh. Don't know why 'installing' this package (which actually just removed NoCyFresh) caused some people's phones to crash.

6. foob macrumors 6502

foob

I downloaded the .deb for the original toggle and there is nothing in it to replace Cydia.

7. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Here is some more info.

According to the dev

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

In /com.nathulal.NoCyfresh/DEBIAN/postinst you will find the following code:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    declare -a cydia
    cydia=($CYDIA)

if [ ! -f /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia.bak ]
    then
    	cp /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia.bak
    fi

rm -f /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia
    cp -f /var/mobile/Library/SBSettings/Toggles/NoCyfresh/Cydia.mod /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia

if [[ $1 == install ]]; then
        if [[ ${CYDIA+@} ]]; then
            eval "echo 'finish:restart' >&${cydia[0]}"
        fi
    elif [[ $1 == upgrade ]]; then
        if [[ ${CYDIA+@} ]]; then
            eval "echo 'finish:restart' >&${cydia[0]}"
        fi
    fi
    exit 0
    How does that not delete Cydia and replace it with a modified version?

9. foob macrumors 6502

foob

You're right. I untarred the control file to the wrong place and was looking at another file for a different program.

That's kinda lame that the dev replaces Cydia with his own without warning.

10. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Heh. I didn't install the new one but I removed the old one and it screwed up Cydia. It was giving "posix error, operation not permitted" or something when trying to get the repo feeds. I found the sticky bit wasn't set in its permissions and setting it for the owner and group fixed it.

11. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

This is supposedly a response to V2.0 by the developer of Nocyfresh (posted on Xsellize)...

Answer/comment from the NoCyfresh creator dev. Sent to me by mail an hour ago:
    "The update is not by me. Modmyi released this update in order to get the package removed. They are marking it unsafe because it refreshes cydia. I am not sure how esle can I stop cydia from refreshing if I don't replace it. I cam assure you there is no malicacous *code in it. The project is also open source so people can go and check the code to see if there is any malicous code in it. The
    Code page is listed under "developers page" under the package description.

Link....

http://xsellize.com/showthread.php/74679-NoCyfresh-Disable-Cydia-Autorefresh-toggle/page8?highlight=nocyfresh

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Check post # 7

13. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, nocyrefresh or no nocyrefresh? Any updates. I'd love to use this, but don't want to if it's going to eff up stuff. Too bad Cydia doesn't have settings, so you wouldn't even need this.

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Cydia settings would be nice. But honestly, with all the bad press surrounding this package, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole :)

16. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I've been using it since it came out with no problems.