Nocyfresh 2.0 removes nocyfresh!

doboy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Saw the nocyfresh 2.0 update tonight and it claimed that nocyfresh was dangerous. What that about? Any idea why it's dangerous?

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I just saw this too. I'm not sure what it's all about though. If it really is a problem then I'll remove it, but it was nice while it lasted.

Anyone else know what's going on?

Update, All I could find was a couple of posts saying the update made one user's phone unresponsive for a while. It eventually started working but this sounds bad to me. I didn't upgrade and decided to delete the package manually.

Here's the link to what I read: modmyi forum nocyfresh 2.0

ckong

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Here's the link to what I read: modmyi forum nocyfresh 2.0
Holy Cats! People have posted in the thread that their iPhones have locked up after applying the 2.0 "update" (at least for a while).

The Author just posted a message to that thread. The NoCyfresh 2.0 update is not by him. He's trying to get it worked out.

nathulal says there's no malicious code his NoCyfresh 1.x and it's open sourced on Google Code here.

I'm definitely waiting on this one...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Seems the NoCyFresh toggle actually has to replace Cydia with a modified version to make it possible not to refresh every time you open it. I guess the people at ModMyI, when they discovered this, decided that it was dangerous and created a package to uninstall NoCyFresh. Don't know why 'installing' this package (which actually just removed NoCyFresh) caused some people's phones to crash.

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
I downloaded the .deb for the original toggle and there is nothing in it to replace Cydia.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Here is some more info.

According to the dev
The update is not by me. Modmyi released this update in order to get the package removed. They are marking it unsafe because it refreshes cydia. I am not sure how esle can I stop cydia from refreshing if I don’t replace it. I cam assure you there is no malicacous code in it. The project is also open source so people can go and check the code to see if there is any malicious code in it. The code page is listed under “developers page” under the package description.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I downloaded the .deb for the original toggle and there is nothing in it to replace Cydia.
In /com.nathulal.NoCyfresh/DEBIAN/postinst you will find the following code:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
declare -a cydia
cydia=($CYDIA)

if [ ! -f /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia.bak ]
then
	cp /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia.bak
fi

rm -f /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia
cp -f /var/mobile/Library/SBSettings/Toggles/NoCyfresh/Cydia.mod /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia

if [[ $1 == install ]]; then
    if [[ ${CYDIA+@} ]]; then
        eval "echo 'finish:restart' >&${cydia[0]}"
    fi
elif [[ $1 == upgrade ]]; then
    if [[ ${CYDIA+@} ]]; then
        eval "echo 'finish:restart' >&${cydia[0]}"
    fi
fi
exit 0
How does that not delete Cydia and replace it with a modified version?

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
You're right. I untarred the control file to the wrong place and was looking at another file for a different program.

That's kinda lame that the dev replaces Cydia with his own without warning.

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
Heh. I didn't install the new one but I removed the old one and it screwed up Cydia. It was giving "posix error, operation not permitted" or something when trying to get the repo feeds. I found the sticky bit wasn't set in its permissions and setting it for the owner and group fixed it.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
This is supposedly a response to V2.0 by the developer of Nocyfresh (posted on Xsellize)...

Answer/comment from the NoCyfresh creator dev. Sent to me by mail an hour ago:
"The update is not by me. Modmyi released this update in order to get the package removed. They are marking it unsafe because it refreshes cydia. I am not sure how esle can I stop cydia from refreshing if I don't replace it. I cam assure you there is no malicacous *code in it. The project is also open source so people can go and check the code to see if there is any malicous code in it. The
Code page is listed under "developers page" under the package description.

Link....

http://xsellize.com/showthread.php/74679-NoCyfresh-Disable-Cydia-Autorefresh-toggle/page8?highlight=nocyfresh

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
This is supposedly a response to V2.0 by the developer of Nocyfresh (posted on Xsellize)...

Answer/comment from the NoCyfresh creator dev. Sent to me by mail an hour ago:
"The update is not by me. Modmyi released this update in order to get the package removed. They are marking it unsafe because it refreshes cydia. I am not sure how esle can I stop cydia from refreshing if I don't replace it. I cam assure you there is no malicacous *code in it. The project is also open source so people can go and check the code to see if there is any malicous code in it. The
Code page is listed under "developers page" under the package description.

Link....

http://xsellize.com/showthread.php/74679-NoCyfresh-Disable-Cydia-Autorefresh-toggle/page8?highlight=nocyfresh
Check post # 7

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So, nocyrefresh or no nocyrefresh? Any updates. I'd love to use this, but don't want to if it's going to eff up stuff. Too bad Cydia doesn't have settings, so you wouldn't even need this.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
So, nocyrefresh or no nocyrefresh? Any updates. I'd love to use this, but don't want to if it's going to eff up stuff. Too bad Cydia doesn't have settings, so you wouldn't even need this.
Cydia settings would be nice. But honestly, with all the bad press surrounding this package, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole :)

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I've been using it since it came out with no problems.